Like Tree9Likes

Shenzen safety issues

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    i really doubt it is an exagerrated threat-

the threat of assualt / sexual assualt is very real in Australia (ask any Indian student living in Melbourne)and ask anyone living there if they think about this sort of thing before they go out at night

maybe Google has these statistics

and the threat to children in church groups is hardly exagerrated is it?
    Maybe it's a good idea not to live in the rough neighbourhoods, like Broadmeadows, Dandenong, Roxborough Park etc.

I have never experienced any issues while growing up/living in the Inner Western suburbs, with 35 other fellow ethnic groups, mostly white collar professionals now, since living near the beach became trendy.

I have never felt worried anywhere, Aus, here in Asia or in the EU...

Maybe HK7 needs to look in the mirror....Personality and common sense are at the core of whatever fantastic story they want to indicate.

I know better, so do 21.9 million Australians of the 30 - 40 ethnic groups that get along fine.

You always get one that tries to rock the boat, and that only escalates friction with the majority rule. Assimilate and fit in, so many other immigrants succeeded, in Aus, be they Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian, Greek, Yugoslav etc etc etc , as did GEN X and baby boomer Indians, so can this new/latest generation.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 13-04-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

Maybe HK7 needs to look in the mirror....Personality and common sense are at the core of whatever fantastic story they want to indicate
    Ok wave the flag thats fine & glad you live in such an harmonious society

but the bit about "looking in the mirror "i honestly don't get-- whats the meaning of this sentence- you mean that i just need to get in touch with my inner criminal ? and really i am in fact- the very criminal that i fear so much ?

I think he means that people who expect to see racism see it whether it is there or not.

hongkong7 and Stu79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    What absolute horseshit.

I've travelled in China since '95; possibly something in the region of a 1000 visits sometimes for several weeks at a time. In that time I have 'suffered' one bout of food poisoning. I've been a victim of crime (pick pocket type) once which was due mostly to my own lack of vigilence.
    I've been involved in 5 minor road accidents, 4 of which were travelling from SZ to Dongguan.
    The Strife needed medical care on two occasions and both times was treated well and pretty quick.

China has some serious issues to address for sure but you are taking sensationalist headlines as though it is a nationwide epidemic; which it isn't.

Unlike in my home town in my home country I've never felt threatened when on a night out in t'city, never been ripped off by a taxi driver, never been assaulted by police at a sporting event or had running battles with footie fans through the streets. I've never been in a fight in China for talking to 'the wrong girl'. Unlike places in S.E Asia I haven't spent most of a business trip shuttling myself and rolls of toilet paper into the lavvy every ten minutes because I had some dodgy water or ice cubes.

Get things in perspective and stop being a wuss.
    Unfortunately everything I related has happened and within the not-too-distant past. It did not necessarily happen across the PRC, but some of it did.
    Merely factors to consider before moving.

The fact that you get into constant trouble at home is rather irrelevant, as is whether other SE Asian countries are worse.

I notice that HK does not have all of these probelms with vaccines and milk/milk powder/milk products and food; unless, of course, the stuff is imported from the PRC.
    And HK treats water coming out of the PRC and you do not need to buy much PRC food in HK. There is a poll on one of these geo sites that had something like 75% of people trying to avoid food out of the PRC. I doubt many people are avoiding it because of personal experience, just because of the feeling that the entire industry is not well regulated nor really safe across the border.
    Last edited by Sleuth; 16-04-2010 at 08:13 PM.

You a Daily Mail reader?

MovingIn07, PDLM and Stu79 like this.

when you get your quality news stories from China Hush website i start to wonder...........

Sorry, never read a Daily Mail. That's a British thing, right?
    Also have no idea what "China Hush" refers to.

The PRC is a developing country and has all the problems associated with the developing world. The problems vary by region.
    Not everyone can live in that situation, but you need to be aware of it before making an informed decision. It isn't like moving to a bigger version of China Town in Vancouver/San Franciso/NYC/DC.

You mean it's like a foreign country?

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    You mean it's like a foreign country?
    Like a completely different foreign country.
    But many people have the "why can't they just ...., like at home" attitude.
    And some places are closer to "like home" than others.

Erm...yes - that was what I was implying.