Like Tree9Likes

Shenzen safety issues

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Shenzen safety issues

Hi

We are considering moving there and I have mixed feelings about the place. I always felt safe when in Lowu, OCT and Shekou and even kindda OK in other districts although I wouldn't live there. Some expats swear the safety is flawless but the reputation doesn't seem that good among HonKongers.

I don't mind so much petty crime, but do you feel there are serious crime issues there towards foreign or mixed families . I've heard and read many tales of kidnapping and violent robberies but not sure how they might affect expats, and this might also result from business disputes - in my country this is very largely dealt through the legal system, as it is in HKG from what I understood, but in other places you'd better run off if you are a foreigner conflicting with a connected local. Child kidnapping would be a major issue, although I have yet to read of cases of foreign children abducted (but didn't this happen to some families in DongGuan ?).

BTW we woud definetely live and send the kids to school in either shekou or OCT.

Thanks for all input.

lol, if you feel save in lowu, then you will feel safe in the whole of china.

lowu is probably one of the most crime ridden places in the whole of china. but it isn't huge there either.

go over, have a nice life. i would always consider it if my job required me to

If you are going to rely on the rule of law to keep you safe, you don't want to be in the PRC.
    Seems I remember they were recently kidnapping kids in SZ, actually.
    I would not move there, especially with kids. Seems it might be okay for a single male, but not much beyond that.

Would you be bothered if you were asked to move t' London?

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Would you be bothered if you were asked to move t' London?
    As long as its not south of the river!

Quote Originally Posted by LuisHK:
    Hi

. Child kidnapping would be a major issue, although I have yet to read of cases of foreign children abducted (but didn't this happen to some families in DongGuan ?).

BTW we woud definetely live and send the kids to school in either shekou or OCT.

Thanks for all input.
    My infant grandaughter lives with my wife in Shenzen and they are perfectly safe there -as in HK. There is very little street crime(in 15 years i have been pickpocketed once), i have not seen public drunkenness and there arent gangs of yobs wandering the streets,not too many home invasions,

If they lived in Australia i would be much more worried about a pedo
    snatching the kid and yobs hassling the wife

it should be fine no real worry I guess.

As for Hong kongers, most of them are scared to go there because it is mainland china and everybody knows that Hong kongers are much better than mainlanders (who are all evil, spitters, uneducated and blablabla)....

Thanks for your replies ! The move would be by no means dictated by work - more looking for a place to relax for a while , possibly long ... As Shenzhen is pretty cheap and pleasant, there doesn't seem to be tax on personal offshore income, we have family there and it's only a short ride to HKG in case work needs to be done, we are considering moving there.

The kidnappings definetely happened, and also to kids from wealthy local families. A bit worrying although I haven't read anything similar about Shekou schools and the chinese government seems to have arrested most if not all people involved and executed at least a couple of them already. At least 2 of the kids died though, hard to imagine how that amount is too much for their parents and themselves when it happened. I would actually prefer HKG in regard to safety but Shenzhen doesn't seem to rank too bad overall.

If you want more info about the kidnappings, here's a link, but plenty more pop up if you google this issue :

The kidnappings and killings of children in Shenzhen, the truth and reactions | ChinaHush

..as long as your husband doesn't spend too long in the arms of ladies of easy leisure I reckon you will be ok.

How many kidnappings of Gweiloh kiddlets..? None.

Your worries are - irrational.

Last edited by Load Toad; 09-04-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Leaving the whole "will my kid be kidnapped" line of reasoning and whether you can trust law enfoprcement in the PRC, how about these safety issues for SZ and the rest of the PRC?
    The hazardous rabies vaccination; the hazardous measles vaccination; the tainted blood supply; the fake malaria pills; the fake milk; the toxic chives; the toxic beans; cooking oil made from recycled food waste; etc....
    I would not trust my medical care nor my food anywhere in the PRC.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast