Like Tree7Likes

What snakes are these please???

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Here is another one - also in DB last October

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:
    According to wikipedia, King Cobra can be very aggressive and from what you guys are saying, KC are NOT that uncommon in the NT. Are there any statistics showing the number of HK ppl fall victims to their bites annually? Victims usually died within 15 to 45 minutes.

Also according to wikipedia, the anti-vernom was only made in very small quantity in Thailand and India; is that mean HK hospitals are NOT in possession of the anti-vernom for KC?
    Yep, King Cobra's are a fairly common sight out in Sai Kung, toward the Pak Tam Country park.

Here's a very cool photo taken in Sai Kung 5 years ago, of a juvenile king Cobra. Luckilly most HK people thump around so loudly, that the snakes usually clear off before they get to see them.

If in the Sai Kung district, you can purchase a copy of Hong Kong Amphphibians & Reptiles at Pak Tam Visitors information centre ofr $80.00. Or if you live in the area and you discover a snake at home, call 999 ( the Police ) and they'll organise a snake catcher to come out, or give Dave Willot a call on 2328 2526 and he'll sort it out for you. DON'T KILL THEM, as quite a few snakes are on the endangered species list.

Also, contrary to myth, you're not going to die of snake bite in minutes, it is extremely rare in Hong Kong and if you are bitten, don't move unnecisarilly, call an ambulance, and while waiting for their arrival, apply a broad pressure bandage above and below the bite, if possible bandaging the entire limb to reduce circulation is ideal, and pay attention to what the snake looked like, so the right anti venom/treatment can be administered, based on that description.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 09-04-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    elle, tinlissie and jayinhongkong like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Yep, King Cobra's are a fairly common sight out in Sai Kung, toward the Pak Tam Country park.

Here's a very cool photo taken in Sai Kung 5 years ago, of a juvenile king Cobra. Luckilly most HK people thump around so loudly, that the snakes usually clear off before they get to see them.

It turns out that guy in the photo wasn't wearing his glasses and thought he was about to kiss his wife.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The book referred to above says this about King Cobras:

"Large adults rarely seen in Hong Kong, the largest being a 4m adult from Tai Po Kau Forest Nature Reserve. Not a bad-tempered snake and seldom attacks except when guarding its nest. Dangerously venomous and has caused a few fatalities in Hong Kong. Frequently sold in snake shops as food and medicinal item."
    Many years ago, a friend and I came across some snake that looked like a (Chinese?) cobra near the edge of the woody place mentioned in the quote. Took me by surprise coz I didn't know there were any cobra-like (with that distinctive shaped head) snakes 'round those shrublands. It was quite small and whipped away FAST - terrified of us as it was. And so they should be - as many of their species are tasty delicacies on some peeps' menus here!

Not the first time I've encountered snakes while out on long walks in the NT - often with zee dog - but not too worried... (Even feel sorry for 'em for our disturbing their nap in the sun, so sometimes whistle out 'specially loud when stomping through more remote grassy bits - a head's up?)

There was this one time local tenants of a relative's neighbour in the NT called the cops(!) to come 'round to chase some black snake out of their G/F home (it had sneaked in their often open front door, probably tempted by food scraps they'd laid out for some pet)... What a commotion that was. I didn't set eyes on the snake myself, but saw the coupla uniformed guys running around their house, then the yard, with sticks poking through their junk and shrubs looking for it, while the neighbour - woman - stood yelling blue murder.
    Last edited by emmie; 09-04-2010 at 03:17 PM.

snakes eat live prey(until they kill it), so unlikely it was after pet food, maybe after the pets themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    We were sharing their home after all.
    I doubt the snakes see it that way, even they did it would not necessarily stop them from biting.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodpecker:
    Agreed! When there are snakes there are less rats. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you. [...]
    But that doesn't help if you accidentally stumble on them, into their striking distance. If they feel threatened they may bite.
    However I wouldn't kill them if there is another way to get rid of them, like using a broom as you mentioned. Living in a high-rise does have some advantages though.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    That seems to be pretty unfair on the snake. I'm sure it was much more scared of you (and especially your screaming wife) and just wanted to exit fast.
    Probably was unfair but the dogs safety comes first for my wife, then its my safety.

my garden is fenced off with mesh at the bottom parts to stop snakes comming in, still once in a while some do get it, probably from the main entrace where there is no mesh. it has been a while since i last saw one though.

Slightly OT, but I just got a Sirupate khukuri WTB.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Slightly OT, but I just got a Sirupate khukuri WTB.
    Nice, did ya get it from the same place or a different one, what size did u get. My last order from Nepal was 2 Buff Heads with engravings on it, it was massive and bloody heavy.

Looks like your collection is getting bigger.

The Buff Heads are very cool, but I don't know what I'd do with them aside from leave them around looking cool...then again, that's true for most of my larger blades...

Same place. Also got a small one with stag handle. I know of an outfit that does much, much better quality--PM me if you want the details. They cost damn near $200 US shipped though!

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 11-04-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4