Like Tree7Likes

What snakes are these please???

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What snakes are these please???

On the weekend I went for a walk along the Heritage trail at Fanling with my wife and happened upon two dead snakes lying on the road.

Does anyone know what species of snakes these are and whether they are poisonous?

first one looks like a krait... if it is, then yes, it is poisonous...
    the second one, i have no idea.

i believe there is a book with photos of the snakes that can be found in hk...

Loz_2 likes this.

Yes - the first one is, I think, a Many-banded Krait, which is highly venomous, although it could be a Banded Wolf Snake, which is non-venomous, but far less common in HK than the Krait. The second is a Common Rat Snake, which is non-venomous.

The book Carang refers to is "Hong Kong Amphibians and Reptiles" which can be ordered online at the Government Bookstore.

(Except that it is showing "Out of Stock" again. The bookstore really doesn't do a good job of reordering this book - it is out of stock far more often than it is in stock!)

Last edited by PDLM; 09-04-2010 at 12:45 AM.
    Loz_2 likes this.

we had a live many banded krait in our garden a few months ago...hubby had a hard time keeping the curious dogs away from it!

also had king cobras outside (i didn't see them, but numerous neighbours have)...also a python in front of one neighbours doorstoop (literally, the neighbour tripped over it coming out of his door!)...

Remind us again why you live where you do?

LOL!
    CHEAP! VERY CHEAP!
    (there are times i ask myself the same question...)

I've had a few in my garden which all came to a swift chop by my machete as ordered by a screaming wife shouting out "KILL IT, OH MY GOD, KILL IT QUICKLY, GET THE DOGS OUT THE WAY, BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH". LOL

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not too brave around snakes but can't help but be fascinated by them at the same time. At least I know next time what kind of snake species I am looking at!

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    I've had a few in my garden which all came to a swift chop by my machete as ordered by a screaming wife shouting out "KILL IT, OH MY GOD, KILL IT QUICKLY, GET THE DOGS OUT THE WAY, BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH". LOL
    That seems to be pretty unfair on the snake. I'm sure it was much more scared of you (and especially your screaming wife) and just wanted to exit fast.

Most snakes are not at all dangerous if you leave them alone - they get out of our way when hiking in groups as soon as they hear us coming. Only the first person ever sees them.

I recall when hiking in Tasmania that a family of snakes lived under the composting dunny. They would come out and sun them selves on the rocks during the day - it was an interesting exercise to step over these (highly poisonous black tiger snakes, some 4 ft long) to go to the loo.... but we all did and nobody got hurt. We were sharing their home after all.

We have had a few snake experiences, mostly in Australia, Tiger, Brown, Red Belly black, Copper Head and Taipans, but rat snakes and cobra being the most common sight when we lived in Sai Kung. One decided to coil up on our front entrance door mat ,of our village house, one afternoon. I just moved it along with a broom, and it slithered away. No big deal, and one of the considerations of what to expect, when you live out in more rural area's, in their habitat.

I agree with moving also.
    It's a very city slicker thing to do, to kill snakes out of ignorance. I must say I am surprised, that somebody (wtbhotia) that has lived out in the NT,so long, is bothered by them.

Last edited by Skyhook; 09-04-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast