Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jahoga

Central Real Estate oddity

Closed Thread

Central Real Estate oddity

For as long as I've been in Hong Kong, there has been a largish parking lot nestled in between Mandarin Oriental Hotel and City Hall. Absolute prime real estate and big enough to plonk down a hotel, mall, bank, apartments or even a really-multi story carpark.

For the longest time this was also waterfront property (as City hall used to be).

It seems like a big waste of space in a prime district of Hong Kong.

Yesterday, I was walking in front of it and curiosity hit me : Why hasnt someone built something more profitable in this space?

There must be some interesting story behind it. Who owns this parking lot? Why havent they built anything on that piece of land except for a lowly low story parking garage ?

HC

I believe it's going when the harbourfront redevelopment kicks in. Illstrative Master Layout Plans

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Four letters: HSBC

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Four letters: HSBC
    Exactly. HSBC will always have open space in front of it.

To elaborate:

The HSBC building has a wide open area (the Statue Square) in front of it, with no other buildings blocking its view of Victoria Harbour; thus, it is considered to have "good feng shui."

Even though the Hong Kong Government is proposing extending the existing coastline further out into the harbour in its latest land reclamation project, it will still set aside space so that no new developments will block the HSBC Building's view of the harbour. It has been said that the HSBC is guaranteed its view of the harbour by the government.

HSBC Main Building, Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jahoga:
    Even though the Hong Kong Government is proposing extending the existing coastline further out into the harbour in its latest land reclamation project...
    Wtf, serious?
    Posted via Mobile Device