shopping in ShenZhen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

shopping in ShenZhen

Hi, I was thinking of going up to Shenzhen for shopping and have been advice by my friends, then unless I am after cheap imitations, i should avoid Luo hu commercial centre but should hit the streets.

the only problem is that they have forgotten the street name which they had been to the last time they were up there. My friend did mention something about dong men nan st.

Does anyone have any advice as to where is good to shop and perhaps to go to for a decent spa/massage/ pedicure?

Thanks

When I was working in HK, I went to Shenzhen and Dongguan sometimes for inspections. Talking to one of the directors working in Dongguan, Shenzhen is not recommended for massages- the quality has gone down while prices shot up due to the volume of visitors willing to shell out more and more.

Massage salons in Dongguan still afford you a 60min massage w/drinks and tv for around $60RMB- but that was last yr.

sigh... but wouldn't be going down to dong guan... thanks for the advice

hi Kathleen, long time no see, how r u? r u in hk yet?? im doin the tranfer from singapore to hk, hope it will work out

I would avoid shopping in Shenzhen altogether. It's no fun but you must always alert of the pickpockets and lots of annoyance. Anyway, if you must do that, then avoid Lowu and hit a taxi to Dongmun.

hi sugar,

when are you going over to hk?

hi webdog,
    thanks for the advice.

well, the boyfriend is coming to hk to visit, so we thought that we would explore shenzhen to make his trip worth it.

ie. "visit china"

I wouldn't really stray away from the Luo Hu Shopping Centre. It's quite dangerous. If you're shopping in more discrete areas and you're being fussy with a purchase it's not unheard of that they attack you, lock you in the shop or call the resident 'triads' round to have some 'fun' with you.

I also have a japanese friend who got in a taxi with his wife at the train station, 5 minutes into the journey he got pulled out the taxi at some traffic lights and the taxi drove off with his wife. He still has not found her. This was a good 8 months ago now.

Bert, Are you sure you havent been watching too many Japanese ahem .. movies?

On a slightly different note, if you're looking at doing something touristy in China, go over to Zhuhai -- plenty of shopping, plenty of ferries, reasonably priced food and then cross over into Macau, have dinner and come back on a late night ferry after having spent a few dollars at Dr (ahem!) Ho's dens of vice.

Far better than the mess at Lo Wu ...

I actually love shopping in DongMin (East Gate). And it's so close you can walk there - about 15mins from LuoWu. On your way make a stop by Book City - it's a whole building dedicated to all kinds of literature... even english translations of classics.

Another area you might want to venture into in Shenzhen is FukTin. It's a good 1 hour bus ride from LuoWu but worth it. There's bowling, lots of great restaurants, a theme park, and even a walmart. The bowling was extremely cheap.... and the food...... my...

bert, what you said i have never heard of even i'm going to china frequently for travelling and business. shopping in Shenzhen is no fun to me but i wouldn't say it's dangerous besides those pickpockets, and do not take the minibus if you don't look like a local.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast