Child's nationality......wondering

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Child's nationality......wondering

Just wondering......... if I am an Indian citizen and my husband is American, what will be our child's nationality (one that is born in Hk)?

Either as far as I know.

You mean it is up to us to decide which nationality we want him/her to have? Interesting.....

I'd have to look this up, but I have a feeling the kid can decide when they turn 18 -- atleast that is the case with some of my friends who have dual nationality issues. Not too sure about India or the US.

Could the child opt for HK citizenship?

in one word.....nope

Didn't think so but had to ask.

Asian American?

I would have thought your child would be able to enjoy dual citizenship. You'll never know which passport will come in handy for travel.

But for the US citizenship, I'll check the physical presence requirements though ...

"If one parent is a US citizen, and the other is not, and the parents are married, then the current law says the child is a US citizen if the American parent was physically present in the US for one or more periods of time totalling at least five years, at some time or times in his or her life prior to (but not necessarily immediately prior to) the child's birth. Additionally, at least two years out the required five years of physical presence must have taken place after the parent's 14th birthday; thus, for example, a parent who was born and grew up in the US, but who left before reaching age 16 and never returned, doesn't meet the requirement."

Certainly if neither you nor your partner is a citizen of HK, I don't think your child will automatically have HK citizenship either.

Thanks NWL, that passage clears a lot of things! It looks our child (when born in HK) will be eligible for US citizenship. And eventually dual citizenship with India can also be obtained.

Great!

NWL, where did you get this passage from?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast