Salary question

Salary question

I'm in my 30's, married but without kids (although this will be a definite consideration in the next year or two).

I live a good life in Australia - decent 2 bed house, one car, a good amount of disposable income, decent monthly savings.

The salary on offer is HK$2,400,000 p.a. For the sake of this exercise, let's assume that rent will come out of my own pocket (hasn't been discussed). I would be looking to rent a reasonable 2 bedroom apartment for around HK$30k - HK$50k/month.

Now, I know that I can live well on this salary, but the real question is, my wife is into horse riding and competitive show jumping - is this even possible in Hong Kong? I'd imagine it would cost a small fortune to keep a horse there! I'm into outdoorsy things like hiking and camping and nerding out with radio controlled planes - also questionable pastimes in HK.

The salary is around 30% more than I currently earn, but will we end up blowing that extra 30% on our recreational activities? In which case, it's pretty pointless innit!

Any ideas?

Hong Kong has fine hiking and camping, which are easily accessible from the urban areas on very cheap public transport, so no cost worries there. I've also seen quite a few RC planes around, although there are only limited spots where this is legally allowed I believe.

Remember that your tax rate will only be 15% here, so if your gross is 30% higher, your net may well be 50% up.

I'll leave others who know better to answer on the horse questions.

Last edited by PDLM; 22-04-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Hong Kong has fine hiking and camping, which are easily accessible from the urban areas on very cheap public transport, so no cost worries there. I've also seen quite a few RC planes around, although there are only limited spots where this is legally allowed I believe.
    Yup out by the old airport theres plenty of hobby fliers out on the weekend and theres a few places out in the New Territories.

For RC Plane I recall seeing one place on Wilson Trail near lion's rock (well not too far away from that)

Second the fact that HK has plenty of hiking to offer and same with camping.

For 30/50K / month you can get a good place pretty much everywhere so this amount should be fine.

For the horse thing, no idea but I do recall that a lot of folks were doing some horse riding in the Tuen Mun / GoldCoast area....but not really sure where and what is the level.

not sure on the cost, but i have seen plenty of people doing the horse jumping bit.

btw, nice job. what pays that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Bleebs:
    Now, I know that I can live well on this salary, but the real question is, my wife is into horse riding and competitive show jumping - is this even possible in Hong Kong?
    check out: The Hong Kong Equestrian Federation (English Version) - Directory

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    btw, nice job. what pays that much?
    Lawyer with experience for example, or CFO....just some wild guess.