HK Airport to Shenzhen: HOW?!

HK Airport to Shenzhen: HOW?!

I have to travel into HK next week, then straight into Shenzhen. I have read differing suggestions of how to do this. Please can someone advise me of the most convenient/safest/best etc(!) way as I will have luggage etc......I need to go straight from HK airport so would like to go straight from there if possible. Any guidance as to cost would also help.

Also, how SAFE is Shenzhen, have read some outrageous (well, not if they're true, I suppose) stories and don't know what to expect.

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Hi Liz,

There are bus services from the Airport to various parts of China.

More information can be found on the Hong Kong Airport Site.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/aguide/cross.html

Make sure you have your China Visa before you get to HK, if you're taking the bus. I'm not sure of what the visa on arrival formalities are.

>> how SAFE is Shenzhen, have read some outrageous (well, not if they're true, I suppose) stories and don't know what to expect.

Safer many parts of Washington DC for sure.

There is definately a criminal element in Shenzhen, but don't get too worried about it and don't get too consumed. Normal safety tips apply (don't appear too wealthy, try to get someone to meet you at the bus terminal etc).

Some websites which may help you plan.

From Shenzhen's perspective
    http://www.shenzhenwindow.net/guides/safety.htm

From an outsiders perspective.
    http://www.dfat.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/China

Many Thanks

Thank you thank you thank you!

Your info has been very helpful, Knowitall.

HK to Shenzhen

Hey Liz

I am doing exactly the same as you are. In Jan i fly into Hong Kong and have to get to shenzhen.

Is there any chance of you posting here or emailing me to let me know which bus/train company you took and how you got on?

Thanks Knowitall for the links

The How to or How not to Guide!

Yes, no problem I'll post my experiences on here if you like....remind me though if you don't hear anything by second week in Dec!

All the best.

Thanks Liz.

I spoke to my friend on Shenzhen last night. Luckily he is going to meet me at HK airport so I won't have to do the journey myself.

By the sounds of it we are actually going to be taking a ferry into china. He said it takes about 30 mins

Thanks for the links Paul.

I've been looking at the CKS site. It shows a flow diagram of how you divert immigration to get to the ferry.

Just wondering, how do you check in your luggage for the ferry when the baggage reclaim carousels are on the other side of immigration?

Thanks to anyone that can help

How To....

Done it!

For anyone that is interested:

1) Directly in front of you at the far end at HK airport as you clear immigration and hand in your health form, there is a row of counters of coach comapnies that head into China. You can buy your ticket there to get into Shenzhen. 130HK$ to get over the border, 150HK$ to go straight to your hotel. Strongly recommned the latter.

2) It is a good idea to have your hotel and address with you at all times written in Chinese, so whereever you wander you know you can get back to your base. The taxi drivers I used in Shenzhen did not speak English.

3) Be careful at the borders as pickpockets are operating, sensible precautions apply.

4) The coach company I used was www.eebus.com and found the whole service to run smoothly and was very organised.

5) www.visitgd.com may be of use although I haven't checked it myself.

Oh and I understand the ferry times from Shekou to HK are not always that convenient, whereas the coaches are going back and forth over the border all the time.

Hope this helps someone out there.