Like Tree1Likes

Good and cheap Chinese food - we're desperate!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by via:
    Yeah love the rice.

Man, after looking at this thread I realize that you guys are really missing out on food in HK. What you guys need is a local or someone to take you lot around HK. The local delicacy isn’t those serving in restaurants, but at the side street of MK, I must admit some of those delicacies take some balls to stomach.
    Sadly I can't do street food anymore as my stomach can't seem to cope with it as well as I used to, But stinky tofu with chilli sauce etc is awesome though

The seafood places by temple street market in jordan is on my list of places to go as well.

I'm off to chungking for a curry next week so am looking forward to that indeed, Got a discount card already

I thought this thread was about how to get as far away from authentic HK-Chinese food as possible

Chungking curries... mmm.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Hainan Chicken Rice is superb though
    But HK's superior-in-looks bleached kind with the spring onions dip can't beat the flavour of the KL and Sing version of the same thing with the chilli-garlic sauce in little rubber-banded plastic bags.

Thanks guys, enjoyed the thread. Maybe we could also have some similar ones about how the food in Paris is crap because they don't have proper French food like you get in Delifrance and why it's not worth going to Rome 'cos they don't have Pizza Hut.

bffallo likes this.

www.openrice.com ? Even if you can't read chinese, just keep clicking till you get to a top 10 / top 20, and go to the map =)

I'm guessing that because it's all in chinese, the majority of the recommendations are from non-westerners =)

It's better than the usual food roulette.

Try the Dam Dam Mein at Crytal Jade Restuartant. The best I have ever tasted. Other dishes are tasty as well there and the prices very reasonable.

Great chinese food on Lyndhurst Terrace

I highly recommend Flower Trump on Lyndhurst Terrace!
    Very reasonably priced
    Its not western style chinese food but definitely chinese food. But excellent

I can't believe the first post in this thread. IMHO typical Western style Chinese food by chefs who do not really know what they are doing is a mere shadow of the real thing - I would almost go as far as to say crap! In Australia (particularly 10 or more years ago) this was

sweet and sour pork
    spring rolls
    prawn crackers
    prawn toast
    fried or steamed dim sims
    fried rice
    banana fritters
    fried ice cream.

OK I take it back - I quite miss dim sims (the big ones with unidentifyable content) and fried ice cream! And I don't mind fried rice. Wonder if you can get fried ice cream in HK.. mmm

For "real", yummy Cantonese Chinese food yum cha (or 'dim sum') cannot be beat, I think.. I also think for the most part authentic Cantonese food is relatively healthy - a lot of it is not fried, but steamed. For some reason a lot of the Western style stuff is fried.

Last edited by muse07; 10-07-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5