Complication w/Landlord

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Jaime -- couple of things. I assumed you signed a provisional agreement when you forked out the deposit? There should be some clauses in there which protect you.

Second, please send me a PM (click on my username and select Private Messages) with the name of the agent -- I'd like to make sure they and their family pets are on the list of things we tell people to watch out for.

actually i wldn't jump on the agent immediately. for benefit of the doubt.
    in hk, most landlords when they want to sell or rent flats, they'd go thru tonnes of agents. i.e. non-exclusive. this way they get more exposure to the market.

my landlord duplicated 27 keys and pass it to all the agencies to hlp him source for a tenant.

so it cld be another agnet bringing a diff client in and rob your flat away.

hence the TA is quite impt.

for me my agent is a nice old man that can't really speak english well (we have to comm thru english though). but he got everythign done for me and got me a decent deal. now i'm putting him to help me set up the gas accounts and stuffs. he even hold one of my key in case i need someone to be at home to take the deliveries.

tehcnically, if the landlord has collected your money, u have some grounds to pursue compensation. but don't count on having your flat. find another one.

u can take your time and force the agent to help u pursue the money + compensation back.

anyway not pertaining to u, but i always think that if one tries to negotiate and cut too fine a deal, there's always the potential the counterparty will walk out and u end up being the loser.

Hi All,
    Thank you for all pointers/suggestions. My husband's company legal clear thing up for us already. Met the landlord this evening, as our impression have it,she is not one that is easy to deal with.

I am with 2 young kids right now...can't afford to go out there for another apt hunting and get all my deliveries hick up at this point. We will move in tomorrow and may be will stay there at least to fullfil the fixed contract term (1 year).

If I were to start all over again, I will never go for this housing agent ever. However, the handover was done professionally this evening by the customer service body.

Appreciate all the replies to this thread!

Last edited by Jamie_Koh; 17-02-2006 at 09:18 PM.

Freeier,
    FYI, we never bargain hard to bring the rent down. I was told by the agent 10% is usual. In our case, we don't bargain, just to request for simple things like window curtain, change of toilet bowl lid and fixed up the lighting. Do u really think that is too much to ask?

no its not. that's common stuffs.
    tell us the whole story when u are ready and we'll guess what happened.

for me i also asked for curtain and lighting. and i did negotiated 1k lower rental from asking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2