Complication w/Landlord

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Complication w/Landlord

After a month of house hunting we are going to move in to our new apt this Saturday. Now...I mean tonight the agent called said that the landlord is calling off the rental agreement as someone else have offer a higher rental for the unit. The landlord has taken our 1st deposit pending the option to complete due to one specific clause that the company legal have disagreement on.

Angry? Confused? Yes, we are! Our international mover, furnitures purchased,etc..etc.. will be delivered this Ssturday as well. Can someone tell me, what is the right of the lessee in this aspect??? NIL??? Appreciate any pointer. Anyone else have ever encountered such situation before??? The housing agent don't seem to be much of help.

this never happened to me but sounds totally illegal. i'dcall the cops, then the housing dept/consumer bureau.

good luck and don't worry, it'll work out.

technically they can call it off but they'd have to pay you back one extra portion of watever you gave them i think. i.e. if its a 1 mth rental deposit they have to return u back that plus the same sum

That's right the party cancelling the provisional tenancy agreement has to forfeit an amount specified in said agreement. Unfortunately for you there is no signed TA in place.

hi,

Get your deposit back and find another agent - its the agent NOT the landlord that is causing your distress. Remember the most agents work for the landlord not the tenant.

With no TA in place, is that means that I lose all my rights then???

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    hi,

Get your deposit back and find another agent - its the agent NOT the landlord that is causing your distress. Remember the most agents work for the landlord not the tenant.

She's one of my husband's company appointed housing agent. We went with her as the other (Sallman Residence- who is much more professional in many way) was on long holiday while time was pressing for me. ANyway, submitted feedback to my husband's company on this particular agent already.
    Last edited by Jamie_Koh; 17-02-2006 at 08:43 AM.

Hi

I would also let the agent know that you want your deposit back asap and that if they mess you about you will inform your husbands company.
    You will need to find another place quickly now, I guess.

Landlords will 'hold out' for more rental and the agent works on their side,like others said (so agent will keep you hanging on, if someone else is likely to come along offering more rent)
    Also, we spotted a clause in a draft contract we didnt like and deleted it (re deposit payable without refund if the let falls through)
    In the end we didnt take that flat but had been kept 'hanging on' (agent was secretly showing others and playing a game saying she wasnt able to get hold of the landlord and had left messages with his secretary.)
    In the end, we gave THEM a deadline (which passed) and we decided to forget it. Luckily no money changed hands.

We took another place with a clean contract (no funny clauses) and reputable trustworthy agent.

Good luck

ps we were also advised by a good agent , that if you encounter problems with the landlord (communication etc) early on, then you are likely to find them unhelpful if you have maintenance jobs that need to be attended to.
    So I would advise you not to pursue this flat, in any case, unless the landlord can deal corr ectly with you.

tex

You can seek help from the very department within your hubby's company that had issue with the rental agreement--usually HR or legal. Both I suspect are equipped to help you get through this crap. Good luck, just try n take it one step at a time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast