Anything wrong in HK???

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Anything wrong in HK???

Hi all,

will be moving there in 2 monthes.

Since i know that, i keep asking around and always get the best / positive comments.

does it means that there's nothing wrong at all in HK? is it possible?

what "difficulties" should i expect?

sebbb

Few questions first.

where will you be living?
    where will you be working?

then that will give us a few ideas as to what the potential problems in hk could be for you.

theres always something wrong anywhere you go...

just depends on what your priorities of wrongness are...

I mean, if you grew up on a 20 square mile cattle ranch, you may find HK living space very "wrong".

Or if you are a picky eater, you might find trying to eat a reasonably priced non-chinese meal "wrong".

Theres a ton of things, just that they are more annoyances than deterrants.

=> jimbo: i'll be working in wanchai and rest asia pacific area, therefore imagin to live on the island.

I am coming with my fiancee. pediatrician, willing to find a job in international hospital.

Georges => my profile: 32 years old, french (you were talking about food?), coming with greek fiancee after 5 years greek expat.
    grew up between Paris, brinaty, aftrica.
    traveled US / Europe / India / Nepal / Pakistan.

but anyway, if you like, just give me your opinion according to your standards, i shall be able to make an opinion according to mine... i think

deleteduser

I guess you're looking for general complaints about the city

I don't have many of those.. I rather like it.

But there are some things that may bother you

-The weather between June and August is stifling. Hot, sticky, sweaty. Nasty stuff
    -I don't know about now, but when I was there last time in 03, most restaurants still allowed smoking. It was disgusting.
    -Due to the close proximity of China, you'll be seeing a lot of Mainlanders, and the... interesting things they do. You might be walking on the beach, and see someone taking a dump in the open. Or moms letting their kids pee in a street gutter in public, and things of that nature.
    -Visiting parks and going out on Sunday afternoons can be quite annoying.. You'll have to step over thousands of housekeepers who have no respect for letting regular foot traffic go by in parks. They'll park their asses in huge groups, all over place, removing their shoes, socks, and everything else. They are quite annoying.

It all depends on what bothers you personally.. but those are the main things I can think of for myself...

Im beginning to love HK too, but things that irritate me sometimes are:
    The way people burp out lowdly even if its very close to your ear.
    People wanting to constantly take photos and video recordings of your children and will pick them up to take photo's without asking, they will also barge past you and almost knock you over to do this. BEWARE if you have pretty children.
    Off course the hot, hot sticky heat in summer especially then you are rushing around in the city trying to get things done. Apart from that HK is an exciting place and Im glad Ive had the opportunity to live here. GOOD LUCK with your move.

Things 'wrong' with Hong Kong

No one has mentioned Air Pollution so far, so I thought I'd point that out. It's bad enough that several thousand participants of the annual marathon two weeks ago had to seek medical attention with hundreds requiring hospital treatment (not to mention the one runner who died).

You will also find that many Chinese, especially Mainlanders, resort to practices that most westerner would consider rude. Other than those already mentioned, a particular annoying practice is the random bumping into people on the streets, pushing to get onto an escalator or abruptly stopping when walking on a crowded overpass / sidewalk. Parts of Hong Kong are overcrowded and I've had moments where I simply couldn't take the masses of people anymore and had to escape to somewhere more quiet. Fortunately, Hong Kong has plenty of that to offer as well, beautiful country parks, beaches hiking trails etc. --- but you asked what is 'wrong' with HK so this may be off-topic.

Depending on where you work, you may also experience office culture shock, especially if you are the only or one of very few westerners there. Especially if you had a very close, happy relationship with colleagues before (as in laughter at the water cooler, social outings, drinks on Friday after work etc.), you may find it a bit socially cold and boring in such an office environment. But do not despair, there are plenty of expat happy hours to drown out your sorrows or the geoexpat outings, which will make you feel part of one big, happy community!

Just like anywhere else, there are good and bad things about every place. Come here and see for yourself!

Oh yes I totally forgot about the bumping, I get that a lot and I usually stare back at them waiting for some sort of apology and they give you this blank expression on there face saying ' whats the problem'

Pollution I haven't really noticed but then I do spend the majority of my time out here in Sai Kung and then coming from London I'm used to Smog etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sebbb:
    I am coming with my fiancee. pediatrician, willing to find a job in international hospital.
    Have you confirmed with Immigration that she will be able to get a visa (in the absence of a job)? Normally you would have to be married for her to reside here with you, although Immigration does sometimes allow fiancees on a case-by-case basis if you can show detailed plans for the wedding...

The only thing that still bothers me after 2 years is the frustation of being a pedestrian. People here walk so slowly and are incapable of walking in a straight line.

The pollution isn't too bad. Someone mentioned the mainlanders from China, I have to disagree on that point. Shouldn't bother you.

You will no doubt have a great time here, and should have a comfortable standard of living. You mentioned thet you are French, and I must say there are loads of French speaking expats in Hong Kong. Indians and Filipinos aside, it must be one the largest expat groups after the UK.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast