Like Tree2Likes

Help!! Desperate for fish and chips...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Chippy is the place to go. You even get Capital Radio live and (slightly old) copies of the News of the World. Their all-day breakfasts are actually better value than their fish&chips in my view.

every single restaurant in stanley market serves fish and chips. the curry, salt and vinegar are on the side though and it's not like london, but it's close?

Eh? There are no restaurants in Stanley Market (apart from a couple of local noodle places hidden away).

I used to love Harry Ramsdens, but since they left I havent found anything that I would call good.

Recently tried : DotCod, TheGlobe - I would go back to both places again but would not order the F&C

On Queue to be tried : Hebe101, Camdentown

Luckily, I will be heading over to UK soon and cant wait to visit a few quality places.

HC

Try The Chippy - it's about as authentic to an English chippy as it is possible to be here. Although sadly, they don't (as far as I know) offer the option of it wrapped in newspaper.

I was at Hebe101 last week and a couple of our party had the fish & chips and seemed to like it. It's more of an upmarket restaurant than a chippy though.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Try The Chippy - it's about as authentic to an English chippy as it is possible to be here. Although sadly, they don't (as far as I know) offer the option of it wrapped in newspaper.

I was at Hebe101 last week and a couple of our party had the fish & chips and seemed to like it. It's more of an upmarket restaurant than a chippy though.
    there also have a copy of the sun newspaper, cockles in vinegar, pickled eggs and greasy spoons, you feel like somewhere in manchester once you're in there, until you received the bill, HK$100 is pretty pricey for fish and chips, however, it's worth the money considering it's authentic

can anyone tell me i can can get an olde style fish and chips in HK?, i.e, fish battered in english ale batter and fried in beef fat just like they have in black country museum in the west midlands, with either cask ale or feniman's traditional lemonade to wash it all down.

$100 expensive for fish and chips? You won't get much change from $100 in the UK either - GBP5.50 I'd say as an average takeaway - couple pounds extra in a restaurant with bread & butter...

The best f&c (i.e. the cod) at The Chippy is $120 (i.e. £10 or so), but that includes a portion of mushy peas or baked beans, and some tartar sauce on the side. They do smaller portion set lunches which include (I think) a soup, sole (not the right fish at all for deep frying IMO) & chips and a drink at $90.

At Hebe101 the cod and chips is $135 in a restaurant setting, but I seem to recall it comes with salad rather than mushy peas.

Last F&C at Hebe came with garden peas for us. Was good. Wouldn't bother making a special trip for Camden Town.
    Posted via Mobile Device

sorry stanley market/main road along the water