Like Tree2Likes

Help!! Desperate for fish and chips...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

the harry ramsdens in blackpool meets your criteria. Or it did about 8 yrs ago
    Posted via Mobile Device

And if you think the Chippy's grubby then presumably you don't eat in local restaurants at all?

it's in central surrounded by nicer restaurants, similarly priced, that's what i meant. I eat in cheap local places yes, and pay something like 30 dollars for a set lunch not 200.
    Posted via Mobile Device

limepickle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    And if you think the Chippy's grubby then presumably you don't eat in local restaurants at all?
    If that's directed at me, I eat in local restaurants far more frequently than I eat in western restaurants - the vast majority of which at least appear to be reasonably clean front of house. When I went to the chippy my shoe (sandal) literally came off my foot because it was stuck to the grime on the floor. But, that was just my experience.
    Last edited by limepickle; 14-07-2010 at 02:25 PM.

The best Fish n Chip shop was in Sai Kung, earlier this decade, owned by a Brit, who had cooked for the royals, when he was in the service.

Nobody has come close to Tommy's authentic quality, his kitchen was run to a military precision, and absolutely spotless.

Pity the greedy landlords hiked his rent double, and that he wasn't supported by the expat community, who whinged about paying more, when he increased costs to survive.

Seems some things never change, and for the record, its pretty hard even back in Australia to get Fish n chips for 2 people for under $15.00 AUS, typically more like $20.00AUS for an order of a min of chips, 2 battered flakes, a couple of pickled onions, 4 battered scallops, and a couple of potato cakes.

So, if The Chippy is charging around $100.00 - $140.00, it sounds like a pretty fair deal, when you consider the massive rent and high cost of imported produce, that they have to deal with.

Last edited by Skyhook; 14-07-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added pickled oninions

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    If that's directed at me, I eat in local restaurants far more frequently than I eat in western restaurants
    But have you seen the kitchens though? thats where it matters.

I can't say I have had the fish and chips at Yorkshire Pudding but the other meals I have had there have been fine.

Name:  22346_245366452265_119356367265_3373913_4156658_n[1].jpg
Views: 128
Size:  54.9 KB

i guess the moral of the story is, in hk in an expat area.. You can't succeed with a 'chippy', youre better off making it into a 'restaurant' that sells nice fish and chips. After all, the best chippies in england are usually down cheap little side streets, not in expensive areas. That's probably why the chippy keeps changing management.

And in the cheaper areas of hk i doubt you'd get enough expat customers, the answer would be to make it appealing to locals, which would involve compromise on taste i think.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    i guess the moral of the story is, in hk in an expat area.. You can't succeed with a 'chippy', youre better off making it into a 'restaurant' that sells nice fish and chips. After all, the best chippies in england are usually down cheap little side streets, not in expensive areas. That's probably why the chippy keeps changing management.

And in the cheaper areas of hk i doubt you'd get enough expat customers, the answer would be to make it appealing to locals, which would involve compromise on taste i think.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    The locals are about as interested in battered fish and chips, as we are about stinky tofu....

A fish n chip shop that does cook authentically/properly, is only as successful as the loyal patrons that it is aimed at serving.

If the very well paid expat population doesn't support its own comfort food joints, what hope have you got...?
    No cause to complain in my opinion, if you baulk at paying a fair price, because lets be honest, The Chippy would be making 9/10ths of F all at the prices they charge. Great for the landlord though, who is the only real winner, while they sit back and collect the largest cash component..

So, if you want these things to survive, so they exist as an avenue for a bit of a back home treat, support them and they will be there.

Don't whinge that the price is high here, when based on other first world citiy's, ie AUS/NZ/UK fish n chip prices, are totally fair, at The Chippy.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 14-07-2010 at 03:05 PM.
    jaykay likes this.