Like Tree2Likes

Help!! Desperate for fish and chips...

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    But have you seen the kitchens though? thats where it matters.
    My philosophy in restaurant cleanliness is that if they can’t be bothered to make front of house reasonable (the bit that customers generally see), there’s little chance they’re going to be too bothered with hygiene in the kitchen.

And to Skyhook, I agree that the prices aren’t extortionate and that imports are expensive. But it doesn’t cost much to run a mop over the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    The locals are about as interested in battered fish and chips, as we are to eat stinky tofu....
    Except for my missus who absolutely loves good fish and chips and hates stinky tofu......!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    The locals are about as interested in battered fish and chips, as we are to eat stinky tofu....

A fish n chip shop that does cook authentically/properly, is only as successful as the loyal patrons that it is aimed at serving.

If
    the very well paid expat population doesn't support its own comfort food joints, what hope have you got...?
    No cause to complain in my opinion, if you baulk at paying a fair price, because lets be honest, The Chippy would be making 9/10ths of F all at the prices they charge. Great for the landlord though, who is the only real winner, while they sit back and collect the largest cash component..

So, if you want these things to survive, so they exist as an avenue for a bit of a back home treat, support them and they will be there.

Don't whinge that the price is high here, when based on other first world cities, ie AUS/NZ/AUS prices, it isn't expensive, at all.
    people weren't moaning that the price was high but that it is dirty. I knew the price when i went there, the reason i didnt walk in is because it looked so much worse than surrounding restaurants. Money was only mentioned after comparison with local canteens, which aren't really the right thing to compare it with.

That's why I think an authentic chippy is pretty much impossible.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    i see, well i went there once and decided not to eat there, as the place was empty and dirty looking, which never fills me with confidence. If they made a really good chippy, i think it would get quite full. I heard there used to be harry ramsdens in hk. What i'd give for that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I am not a bit fan of the Chippy... it's dirty, smelly (chip fat) and I've waited over an hour between ordering and getting the meal at lunchtimes (11:30, not even peak lunchtime). The fish was fine, but the chips were cold. We have a guy in the office who likes to frequent it on Friday lunchtimes and I've been a few times but I wouldn't really recommend it. Pretty expensive too.

I find that quite extraordinary - whenever I've been there (probably 20-30 occasions at least) they start cooking my order as soon as I place it. I will admit there was one occasion where the chips seemed to be slightly less than freshly fried, but out of 20-30 times I'll take that as an aberration.

And it's a chippy - of course it smells of frying! If you want somewhere with a separate kitchen then that would be called a "restaurant".

Personally I don't feel the sticky griminess of chip fat laden atmosphere is an essential ingredient in the whole Chippy experience. Coming out with sticky skin isn't pleasant or necessary. With some decent fan extractors it wouldn't be an issue, regardless of the location of the fryers.

Also I have no idea why you arbitrarily classify restaurants as being somewhere with where the decent is hidden from the punters... I have been to dozens of restaurants with open kitchens and a whole bunch of Chippys/"Caffs" in England with the cooking equipment in a separate kitchen. I suspect this is an arbitary PDLM distinction rather than something based in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Having said that, the one time I went in there since, there was some new guy getting in the way who didn't seem to be adding any value at all to the excellent job that the two Filipino ladies do.
    Shame they're not able or willing to deploy any highly technical equipment like a mop or detergent.

I must be desensitized or something - The Chippy has never struck me as particularly dirty, but then I'm a "play in the dirt, drink stream water (& tap water), and use things after they've fallen on the floor" sort of guy...

Last edited by PDLM; 14-07-2010 at 03:39 PM.

in england its pretty rare to sit down and eat in a chippy. People get takeaway and walk home with it. But i for one don't live walking distance from the chippy in central. So if i'm going to sit down for half an hr in there, yes, ventilation would be nice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5