Darn Itunes

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Darn Itunes

I have a Samsung Home Theatre system that has a USB port. I want to play the songs on my ipod through the speakers. I can't because the samsung system does not recognize m4a, even though the bloody manual says it supports ipod. It only supports mp3 and wma. Anyone know how i can convert the files in my itunes to either mp3 or wma? I am desperate to figure this out.

The home theatre system shouldn't have any say in what format the files are... Are you going iPod-Samsung-speakers using a Monster cable type connecting cable from the iPod to the back of the amp?
    I play my iPod through a 4 year old JBL Home Theatre system with no issues.

Well it has kind of been an ordeal. First of all, not really sure what a monster cable is. I have just been using the USB cable that comes with your ipod and plugging it into the USB port on the front of the receiver. I called samsung and they told me to come to their showroom in mongkok and they would show me how to do it. I brought my ipod in and they tried to play on the identical system that was in the showroom. They could not figure it out. Then they came to my office and took my ipod so that they could test in their lab and figure out how to make it work. They returned my ipod today and told me it works as long as the files are mp3 or wma. Therefore, i am trying to figure out how to do the conversion and then see if it works.

Try importing one or two songs using the mp3 encoder instead of the AAC one.

You can do a batch convert from AAC (.m4a) to MP3 (.mp3) using iTunes:

1. Go into iTunes Preferences, and change the importing mode to the MP3 settings that you want

2. Select the tracks that you want to convert in iTunes, and go to the Advanced menu. There is an item called "convert selection to MP3".

However, note that re-encoding already compressed files will result in further loss of sound quality. How bad it is depends on the bit rate of your current AAC (.m4a) files. If the resulting files don't satisfy, you'll need to reimport everything from CD using the MP3 settings you want (generally you need a slightly higher bit rate MP3 file to get the same quality as AAC)...

...or just use a line-out from the iPod or its dock straight into your amp/HT system line-in (i.e. don't use USB).

deleteduser

Also, if you bought the songs on iTunes, they are protected and can't be re-encoded (or played on non-Apple devices)

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    Also, if you bought the songs on iTunes, they are protected and can't be re-encoded (or played on non-Apple devices)
    This really ticks me off. I think I should be able to listen the music I have purchased on iTunes anyway I want and not be forced to listen to it on an Apple device. Just a way for them to further fatten their pockets I guess.

If France has its way, iTunes will be opened up to other MP3 players (atleast in France) ....

And if they don't have their way the students will riot in all major cities and set fire to everything.
    Not sure about everyone else, but I think that's a bullsh*t call by our French friends. If they allow that, then they should nake Coke tell everyone their secret formula too!

By the by, a Monster Cable is simply the brand name of the cable which was first developed by Belkin* (?) to connect the iPod to Home Theatres, car decks etc....You can buy China copies for HKD10 too now!

*Having just Googled, it turns out they are made by Monster, not Belkin. Go figure!

Last edited by Lammarite; 22-03-2006 at 05:50 PM.

I thought m4p files were copyright protected, not m4a files. I thought you had to convert m4p files to m4a format before you can convert it to mp3 format.

PhilE is correct in that you can use iTunes to convert m4a files to mp3s.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast