Stinging Plant on Lantau

Closed Thread

Stinging Plant on Lantau

I'm trying to figure out what stung me on Lantau yesterday. The guy behind me (who also got stung) said it was bright green vine type plant with no leaves but with tendrils and spikes.

It was NOT a stinging nettle - it went right through my shirt and felt much like a beesting. Very painful. Then made me feel quite nausous for a while and now has a large red rash around the area.

I'd like to find a picture so I can warn others to look out for it on our bushwhacking hikes.

This list does not contain links to pictures, but it is a starting point at least.

Thanks - it's surprising how many of those are listed as "4" for stinging or thorns! I think I may have to do the old-fashioned thing of going into the library and consulting a text book with pictures!

Any luck identifying which plant that caused you the discomfort?

Sounds like a triffid to me!

It was absolutely a triffid. But no - I have not. I need to find time to get hold of a proper plant book - there are a few listed on the internet but none actually available online. My husband recalls he was hit by much the same thing last year, so I think it must be a quite common plant!