Like Tree1Likes

dog & public transport

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by alfaro:
    Really a shame, I wonder what Chinese people expect those dogs to do to their buses & MTRs??
    umm, no offence but a 25kg dog panting on a bus leaving strings of drool on the floor is not what everyone finds savoury.

don't get me wrong, I have pets here myself, but the occasional "accident"/noise/smell is enough to make some people complain.

in saying that, I'd like to see them ban some people from public transport, as the more than occasional noise/belch/fart/smell is probably much worse than fido in regards to bikes - can you imagine how bad it would be to ride in a train with 20 bikes in the same carriage, many carrying/peddling goods? the rules are harsh, but for a reason. no, i don't like them, cos it means my dog and my bike are both transported at great cost by cab... but that's the way it goes in order to make the other 2000 commuters on my train comfortable...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Having 25kg dogs living in an urban area like Central HK seems to me to be totally inappropriate and cruel to the dogs - a 25kg Shepherd dog needs space to run on at least a daily basis... If you want one in HK then live in one of the rural areas and have your own car.
    Relax, I live in DB and he has plenty of space to run. I just like to take him over to HK once in a while to visit friends and run in the country parks there. Aussies are stock dogs, he would not survive living in a city!

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    umm, no offence but a 25kg dog panting on a bus leaving strings of drool on the floor is not what everyone finds savoury.

don't get me wrong, I have pets here myself, but the occasional "accident"/noise/smell is enough to make some people complain.

in saying that, I'd like to see them ban some people from public transport, as the more than occasional noise/belch/fart/smell is probably much worse than fido in regards to bikes - can you imagine how bad it would be to ride in a train with 20 bikes in the same carriage, many carrying/peddling goods? the rules are harsh, but for a reason. no, i don't like them, cos it means my dog and my bike are both transported at great cost by cab... but that's the way it goes in order to make the other 2000 commuters on my train comfortable...
    Yes, you have a point there, but it works in other areas. too. e.g. Europe. Of course you do not let them jump on the seats or even use trains in rush hours and stuff. As longs as there is cabs who accept transport I do not mind - just buying a car for occasional trips seems a bit expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:

It works in so many countries so why not Hong Kong? Trains in Europe have sections at the front where bikes and animals go and the system works perfectly well and increases revenue. Fair enough if they don't allow it during peak periods or on some routes (Star ferry, for instance, allows bikes for free on the ferry but only between Wanchai and TST, not Central and TST) but at least show some flexibility. And just how bad would it be to have 20 bikes in a carriage really? And what are the chances of 20 bikes being in a carriage?

"Easy Van Calling" are dog friendly!
    http://www.23200001.com/home.htm
    HK:2833008 Kln:27230000 NT:26640000 FAX:23070075

alfaro,
    i've seen some ads for pet pick up service (24hrs). i think they have a van or s'thg and can take u & ur pet to wherever for a fee. u can look into this if u need to get around the city. or hook up w/ a taxi driver that'll offer you discount when u need his services (call ahead to have him pick u up).

i think one of the problem w/ public transportation in HK is that it's almost always crowded - even during non-peak hours. also, lot of HKers are afraid of dogs, small or large (i've had some girls freaking out when they saw my Lhasa Apso (!)). i was back in Toronto in Jan. and there's hardly anyone on the subway during the day (like, less than 10 people per car), so if i were to have a bike or large dog, it won't make much difference. i think we should bear in mind that buses, MTR, trams, etc. are primarily for transporting people. (i would love it if pets were allowed on them but, hey, what can ya do?!).

Madshpr & humanbeing,
    thanks for the contacts, I will certainly try that.

I have a 22#pug, in San Francisco I take him every where. Only requirement is to have a muzzle on buses. Will putting on a muzzle or carrying the dog in your arms be allowed in the subway or buses in HK?

No, as stated in post #4 in this thread. When you see how busy the public transport is in rush hours you'll understand why.