Like Tree17Likes

People using their umbrella when the sun is out

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    So do they think all Indians are labourers? lol...
    Even the Indians favour fair skin

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Huh? An umbrella stops the rays of the sun hitting the person, thus prevents sunburn and protects against skin cancer. You do know that the sun is what causes skin cancer, right?

It also acts to create a shady area under the umbrella that similarly is cooler than the surrounding.

There is nothing wrong with using an umbrella to block the sun - I do as well on occasion, but I do think that using them in the middle of town and getting in the way of all the pedestrians is abit much. At least my hiker friends with their all-encumpassing headgear are less of a nusiance.
    ... and I just love it when it rains and people with umbrellas UP insist on walking under the covered areas!!

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG
    As PDLM says, the Asians value white skin - brown skin is a sign of engaging in manual labour - 'working in the fields'.

So do they think all Indians are labourers? lol...

Historically it was the standard view in the west as well, white skin rich and noble, tanned skin poor.
    True - and nowadays the tan is used as a status symbol to show that you have the time and money to chase the sun

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    True - and nowadays the tan is used as a status symbol to show that you have the time and money to chase the sun
    Probably after few decades tanned skin would become a symbol of status and any one having paler skin would be looked down upon...
    What'd happen to the fair skin cream industry then...!!!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I am with Carang. I also burn in a very short time, even with the copious application of sunscreen. So when I know I will be exposed without shade, I will put up my UV-protective umbrella. The first few times it felt odd. But a few decades on, it's pretty automatic. My OH is a good deal taller than me, so he doesn't walk next to me when the brolly is up - at least that's his excuse!

I laugh at my wife who uses am umbrella in the summer. She uses it because it is cooler under there. Not because of darker skin or getting burnt. She doesnt burn.

Actually I tried it once and it honestly really is cooler and I felt better under the umbrella. But I will never admit it to her and still laugh at her.

I've often wondered at the people that come to the beach, covered from head to toe in long sleeved pants and shirts and sit under a beach umbrella. Why did you even bother leaving the apartment if you are so worried about your precious porcelain skin? Aiya!

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I laugh at my wife who uses am umbrella in the summer. She uses it because it is cooler under there. Not because of darker skin or getting burnt. She doesnt burn.

Actually I tried it once and it honestly really is cooler and I felt better under the umbrella. But I will never admit it to her and still laugh at her.
    LOL... yeah, it's like wearing Crocs. I'm sure it's very very comfortable, but I can never bring myself to doing it!

ethnocentrism.

Am I the only one who sees a lot of HK people, especially women, with slightly deformed-looking lower backs, hips and legs? It makes me think of vitamin D deficiency. Perhaps I just spend a lot of time looking at women's legs...

I have to say that Chinese people look a lot better with a tan. They go a nice bronzy colour. The veiny-sallow look doesn't do it for me. Especially on the legs.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast