Laundry

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Laundry

hello all
    question..i heard that laundry is quite affordable in hk..is that true..and would you recommend going to the neighbourhood chinese laundry or drycleaners , instead of doing your won washing?...i mean if you have an appartment, a washer and a dryer do take up a lot of space..any suggestions and whats the approximate rates for laundry in general?
    thanks and appreciate it!
    AKD

AKD, we take our washing to the laundry once or twice a week and they charge us by the kilo. The man will also come to our house if we have dry cleaning for our suits. No need for a washer unless you have children or a small number of clothes.

HI hans
    can i know whats the approximate rate in hk dollars for per kilo..or does it vary for various laundry outlets..i mean are they all uniform?

AKD, I think its around HK$7-10/kilo with a 3 or 4 kilo minimum. You can find these laundromats in most housing estates / streets. You'll just have to scout around where you live.

thanks

wow thats quite afforadable and less hassle..is that the norm for people in HK?..do most of the people just do that instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul:
    It isn't clear to me why bundling laundry up and carrying it somewhere down the street is less hassle than putting it in a washer-dryer!
    There are a ton of people who don't have washer dryers in their apartments, either due to space issues or the simple fact that the landlord may not provide one and you don't want to buy one. There have been atleast 3 apartments I've lived in where I did not have a washing machine or dryer.

lazy

you are talking to the god of lazy..someone who invented the word..hey quick question to both paul and shri..paul the part time domestic helps that you get, on an average how much do they charge you..like back here in singapore i have a maid come in once a week and clean up etc, for about 3/4 hrs..and its quite affordable..any info and advice on that kind of a working arrangement?..or is it very diff in hk?...and shri do these laudry palces also iron your cloths for some extra money or am i pushing my luck and should just get off my ass?

Paul, you won't believe the size of some apatments here !! I had a tiny washing machine in the previous apartment that I lived and had no place for a bigger one even if I wanted ! When we were two it was fine. But then we became 3 and my family and my partner's family visited and we were swamped - add in a couple of rainy days and it was a nightmare ! That time those laundromats were really handy. I'm so glad those days are behind me !!

I just moved to HK for a 3 month temporary assignment and decided to stay in a hotel vs getting a serviced apartment. Hotel living is great but laundry expenses are not - especially when I have a limited expense budget!!

Any way, I am living in the pacific place complex and I tried finding a neighborhood laundry store in Wan Chai (walking distance) and couldn't find a thing. Does any one know of an affordable cleaner or am I stuck paying $35HKD to get a pair of socks washed!

Thanks for the help!

A bit hard to believe, but you could really be out of luck here. I was at the Empire Hotel before (not quite as nice as the apartments at PP however) and had to trek several blocks east to find a laundrymat. If you are up to some neighbourhood exploring, its between Lockhart/Hennessey a block or two before you come to the Southern Playground. You may try also around Star Street, since that's a bit residential there would conceivably be a shop in that area. Good luck!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast