Like Tree8Likes

trailing spouses - gay or lesbian

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

PDLM... even gay/lesbian couples from the USA that are married would most likely be refused a dependant visa in hk.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    So what should the criteria be? Living together? I once even bought a property and lived in it with a friend. But we had separate bedrooms. You can't do it on sharing the same bed since many married couples don't do that. I really don't see an objective definition except one that involves a legal contract that looks something like "marriage" or "civil partnership".
    You seem rather obsessed about this issue having seen some of your other posts. Anyway, rather than let this degenerate into a political discussion on the demerits of HK's retardaire immigration policy, I'd rather stick to the topic at hand. If you are interested in my original post, please move along.

Quote Originally Posted by graybird:
    I'd rather stick to the topic at hand. If you are interested in my original post, please move along.
    Sorry, but that's not how forums work.

Anyway, I've never said that I agree with HK's Immigration policy. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the whole concept of visas is wrong and that the whole world should just let anyone live anywhere so long as they abide by the laws of that country. There'd be some adjustments to be made, but the world would settle down again fairly quickly to some sort of stable state. The whole concept of nation states is fairly transitory in the long term scheme of things anyway - I'd be surprised if it survives more than another hundred years or so.

Absent that, then if you're going to have the concept of "dependants" then there are really only two consistent and tenable rules, either:
    a) allow anyone to nominate one adult of their choice to accompany them, or
    b) require that the nominated adult be in some sort of contract with them.

a) looks far more sensible to me since the policing of "contracts" (marriage, partnership, whatever) is totally subjective and open to interpretation.

I'd be surprised if it survives more than another hundred years or so.
    You wouldn't be surprised, you'd be dead.

Australia gives visas (permanent and temporary) to gay or lesbian partners. You just need to be in the relationship for 12 months or longer, and show proof that the relationship is genuine and ongoing.

And what constitutes "genuine"? Do you mean "sexual"? Do you mean "sharing bills"? What?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the whole concept of visas is wrong and that the whole world should just let anyone live anywhere so long as they abide by the laws of that country.
    In the face of some stiff competition, that is quite the most ridiculous thing I have seen you come out with!

And what constitutes "genuine"? Do you mean "sexual"? Do you mean "sharing bills"? What?
    Most legal domestic partnerships in the states, where it is available, requires proof of longevity (usually 12 months or more); financial overlap and resource sharing (i.e. joint bank account or other investments) and co-habitation.

You and your partner must show a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others. You and your partner must be living together or, if not, any separation must be only temporary. You must also have a genuine and continuing relationship with your partner.

You and your partner must each provide a statement or statutory declaration regarding the history of your relationship, including:

•how, when and where you first met
    •how your relationship developed
    •when you decided to marry or to start a de facto relationship
    •your domestic arrangements (how you support each other financially, physically and emotionally and when this level of commitment began)
    •any periods of separation (when and why the separation occurred, for how long and how you maintained your relationship during the period of separation)
    •your future plans

Partner Visa: Offshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 309 and 100)

Thats just how they do it in Aus. Not saying it is right or wrong.
    Last edited by bdw; 03-06-2010 at 05:44 PM.

@geoff,

On what grounds? The world survived quite happily without them for a very long time. The concept of visas is only a bit over 100 years old, and passports not much older.

Quote Originally Posted by graybird:
    Most legal domestic partnerships in the states, where it is available, requires proof of longevity (usually 12 months or more); financial overlap and resource sharing (i.e. joint bank account or other investments) and co-habitation.
    Many people meet those requirements without being anything other than friends who have bought a property together (assuming "co-habitation" means "under the same roof", not "in the same bed"). So that's not a good set of criteria.