Like Tree8Likes

trailing spouses - gay or lesbian

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    And let PDLM bully people seeking IVF, gay friends or visa advice freely on the rest of the forum?
    Talk about "mind-blowing arrogance"! Oh, look, it's superhero Geoff -- defender of the downtrodden and all those who (in Geoff's mind only) can't speak for themselves. He's a saint, that Geoff is.

I am not gay, but being from San Francisco, have plenty of experience with the gay community and plenty of gay friends, and it is a little hard imagine a gay person being 'intimidated' by PDLM asking some innocent (if irritating, in a Socratic manner) question.
    Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Talk about "mind-blowing arrogance"!
    Yep! Everyone who argues with you didn't understand or read your posts - absolutely incredible. Hard to think how anyone can be that up themselves to believe that, yet alone post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Yep! Everyone who argues with you didn't understand or read your posts - absolutely incredible. Hard to think how anyone can be that up themselves to believe that, yet alone post it.
    I didn't write 'every time'. It has happened a few times though. Let's call a truce on this for now.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the whole concept of visas is wrong and that the whole world should just let anyone live anywhere so long as they abide by the laws of that country. There'd be some adjustments to be made, but the world would settle down again fairly quickly to some sort of stable state.
    Actually an interesting idea that i thought about too before. The main issue is that democratic rich societies probably won't allow this to happen (if they can refuse), because such open borders would increase the pressure on the salaries of low- to medium-earners (who typically are the majority in a democracy).
    Freetrader likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    Actually an interesting idea that i thought about too before. The main issue is that democratic rich societies probably won't allow this to happen (if they can refuse), because such open borders would increase the pressure on the salaries of low- to medium-earners (who typically are the majority in a democracy).
    I think it might be a little more idealistic than practical. However, if one assumes that over time globalisation will relentlessly erode barriers in standards of living between peoples and nations (which I think would be a good thing) then more and more people would likely be included in ever-larger 'passport free/free trade zones'. It is not inevitable and may never cover the entire world though (e.g., North Korea) but a lot can happen in 200 years.

I think, however, there will always be different political entities and that humans are unlikely to ever completely erase grounds for international conflict. It is at least conceptually possible, though, to imagine a world where all conflict is handled as a pure criminal matter through a global police force...sort of what the UN was intended to be. However, that can't happen until the entire world adopts a globally accepted political philisophy.

Interesting thought, though.

a little off topic here.

my former business partner and I used to have a business together which we also owned the building. the business occupied the storefront and we shared the apartment upstairs. it was a very small business and we paid a lot of stuff out of our personal accounts, since everything is 50/50. sadly he passed away a few years into the business and his parents inherited what he had.

so using the gay chapatis theory, would we've been considered common law partners? just like married gay couples that doesnt have sex!! would i've been entitled to every he had?!?!

So who's been adding chapatis to the tags for this discussion? Seriously, no wonder we can't find stuff on search in this forum!!

Editing tags is fun

Last edited by elle; 05-06-2010 at 06:14 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5