Like Tree8Likes

trailing spouses - gay or lesbian

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

trailing spouses - gay or lesbian

Interested in meeting other gay men or women who have followed their partners to HK as trailing spouses -- for friendship / knocking about during the day / commiserating. A hike, movie, lunch, hitting a few cultural events, happy hour, etc... Have been here for just over a year and looking to expand my social circle. I'm 40, from the States, varied interests.

Be quick before Immigration boots you out!

Why on earth is the sexuality of people you go hiking with important?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Be quick before Immigration boots you out!

Why on earth is the sexuality of people you go hiking with important?

Its not at all. Open to all, but thought it might be good / helpful to meet others / network in the same situation. Yes, and even to talk about HK's immigration policy.

i'm not gay/lesbian, but i do think that their policy of not recognising common-law marriage or the status of gay couples to be absolutely abhorant...but then again, they even make their own people married to mainlanders wait years to be able to join their spouse...

I hardly think Hong Kong is alone in this - I'd be surprised if more than 25% if countries in the world allowed people to whom they granted visas to bring along some other person to whom they weren't married.

my brother and his "wife" lived together for 5 years in the uk (not a problem, brother and i have uk passports). they even had a child together.

the canadian gov't FINALLY changed the requirements and they were recognised as common-law and the family was able to move to canada. she is now a canadian citizen and has been living in canada for 5 or 6 years.

ps> just because some/many/most other gov'ts don't allow it, doesn't make them right either.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I hardly think Hong Kong is alone in this - I'd be surprised if more than 25% if countries in the world allowed people to whom they granted visas to bring along some other person to whom they weren't married.
    Yes, if you include the Ivory Coast, Egypt and other lovely places were gay men and lesbians are persecuted. But if HK wants to achieve its goal of becoming a world-class city / financial center and and particularly their new goal to be an arts hub, they might want to reconsider the policy. A lot of talent will go elsewhere.

So what should the criteria be? Living together? I once even bought a property and lived in it with a friend. But we had separate bedrooms. You can't do it on sharing the same bed since many married couples don't do that. I really don't see an objective definition except one that involves a legal contract that looks something like "marriage" or "civil partnership".

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast