Like Tree12Likes

Is crime an "out of sight, out of mind" thing in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Do they ever have good ol fashioned drunken gang fights in this city?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I have only ever seen one which looked like in the Triad Movies but this was 10 + years ago and in San Po Kong (Not your typical Expat Area), across from my building is a small street which had 3-4 mahjong's parlors, i was bored looking down and suddenly saw 3-4 cars stop and a bunch of guys get out and rush inside one MJ parlor. Didn't actually see any fighting but it was mostly likely show of power or intimidation.

About 10 -15 mins later they all rushed back out and crossed the street to the other side and broke off into different directions.

That was the closest i have ever seen to a Triad Movie gang situation.
    bookblogger likes this.

My neighbourhood is a hotbed of violent crime. Just last week there was an armed robbery in which HK$100,000 worth of frozen chapatis were stolen from the shop downstairs.

dear giant likes this.

Nope, it so safe in hk it's laughable. Do they ever have good ol fashioned drunken gangfights in this city?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I saw a big one outside Chungking Mansions once at about 2am. Pakistanis against Nepalese apparently. It attracted about 10 police vans though and it was swiftly over

Nope, it so safe in hk it's laughable. Do they ever have good ol fashioned drunken gangfights in this city?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Well, you might see something like this... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    ...Pakistanis against Nepalese...
    Them Pakistanis must have been new in town.
    Posted via Mobile Device

On one night in LKF, I saw two teens get bottled separately. Both were bleeding and being asked questions by senior police officers (right where that video was taken actually).

I've also seen a Nepali bouncer turn a Wanchai sidewalk red when a drunk patron got in his face.

When I was in high school, a guy in my neighborhood and his friends broke a bouncer's leg and blinded him in one eye.

Violent crime does exist here. It's just less common than in other places.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 09-06-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Violent crime does exist here. It's just less common than in other places.
    True, very true but there is also one *major* difference.

Random crime is practically non existant. The people who are at the wrong end of crime (in HongKong) are there due to their chosen circumstance. If you associate with the wrong crowd, you will end up being affected.

I dont worry at all, be it Wanchai or Mongkok or Yuenlong, at any hour of day or night, being hassled nor attacked randomly; it doesnt even enter my mind. I (with money in my pocket), my wife (with her jewellery on display) or my kids in tow have never been in a situation where we have felt uncomfortable with our surrounds.

The same cant be said for many western cities and countries.

This one fact is one of the major factors that has kept us here and its why we call Hong Kong home.

HC
    London2HK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Random crime is practically non existant.
    i agree. violent crimes are low in hk but they do exisit.

aerial acid attacks
    dh adding menstrual blood to her employer’s food
    poison milkshake
    well connected niece bitch slapping a cop

and
    hk beauty pagents
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It's pretty safe. You can see the stats for whatever crimes worry you here: Hong Kong Police Force - Crime Statistics in Detail

And compare with the weekly stats for the NYPD here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf

As an example, New York had 471 murders in 2009 (down from over 2200 in 1990); Hong Kong had 47.
    right- because statistics tell the whole story. keep in mind that new york includes all of the boroughs. if you're going to compare hong kong with new york- you should probably exclude brooklyn/bronx/queens etc etc...since hkg doesn't have those types of areas, and those in new york who live in a similar environment to hkg would not be venturing out to the boroughs much.

a valid point too in terms of safeness is by the simple fact that the avg chinese guy isn't going to fight a westener (notice i said avg) because they'd be scared of the percieved preferential treatement by police (which i've witnessed a time or two while here)

oh, and let's not forget, simply by the fact that in certain states you're allowed to carry weapons, us yanks aren't civilized...</sarcasm>
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    True, very true but there is also one *major* difference.

Random crime is practically non existant. The people who are at the wrong end of crime (in HongKong) are there due to their chosen circumstance. If you associate with the wrong crowd, you will end up being affected.

I dont worry at all, be it Wanchai or Mongkok or Yuenlong, at any hour of day or night, being hassled nor attacked randomly; it doesnt even enter my mind. I (with money in my pocket), my wife (with her jewellery on display) or my kids in tow have never been in a situation where we have felt uncomfortable with our surrounds.

The same cant be said for many western cities and countries.

This one fact is one of the major factors that has kept us here and its why we call Hong Kong home.

HC
    Random crime does occur here, but again, not to the same extent as in the US. I know two women who have been assaulted in public here for no reason whatsoever and another who was punched in the face repeatedly and then had her gold necklace snatched.

I'm as alert here as I am anywhere.
    dear giant and claytonmscott like this.