VHS Video transfer to DVD

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Any update on this?
    I just got video cassette which I need to transfer to DVD. I think that Stanely Street may be a good bet, but before venturing out would like more concrete details from a recent user.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSum:
    I've got some langauge cassettes etc that would be great to have transferred to CD so I can hopefully extend their half-life and also make it easier to travel with.

Will these shops do that? Any suggestions?

Cheers!

If you are talking about audio cassettes, just download 'jetaudio', which is a freeware from cnet.com, connect your 'speaker out' in the cassette player to 'line-in' in your computer and use 'record' function in jetaudio.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones:
    I have five or six VHS videos showing footage of my kids over the years. The videos still play OK but I'd like to transfer the contents to DVD. Is there a reliable company in Kowloon/HK who can this for me, and what kind of cost am I going to be hit for?
    Jones, if you have plans to buy a dvd recorder with hard disk, you can record all your VHS videos, yourself and this will be cheaper than paying - HKD 400 to 500 for all your VHS tapes.

Alternatively, you can buy a VHS to Digital converter costing around HKD 300 from Computer Centre, conncet your VCR player to your PC do the recording.

Recently I bought a dvd recorder with hard disk and am transferring all my VHS, Videocam recordings....

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Any update on this?
    I just got video cassette which I need to transfer to DVD. I think that Stanely Street may be a good bet, but before venturing out would like more concrete details from a recent user.
    Hey KKid,

I agree with Taikoo on this one. If you have a DVD recorder and a VHS player, it is a no brainer. you don't even need a HDD DVD recorder. If you don't have either, I'm sure you could find one of each if you asked a few mates.

VHS players are still in some electronics stores, and in a lot of junk piles. Overseas you can get combo VHS/DVD player/recorder thingies, but I have not seen one here (I had one in Oz, that I was stupid enough to give away, but when i moved here, I could not find the same thing)...

I've done the VHS to DVD thing with about 20 tapes here in HK, using a seprate VHS and DVD recorder...and it's easy enough to do.

For transfering audio, also try Audacity for PC, or for macs Final Vinyl is cool too. You can then convert to MP3 using iTunes on both Mac and PC...

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Any update on this?
    VHS to DVD recorder is fine but will not produce the best quality. The cheapest method is to copy it to a mini-DV camcorder provided it has analogue (red, white and yellow) input. Then copy from camcorder to pc assuming it has firewire using Windows Movie Maker (part of Windows XP). This gives you an avi file which you then convert and write to DVD using software like TMPGEnc's.

Well I staggered along Stanely St and aside from getting hot and bothered achieved nothing.
    No one will touch my video cassette as it has a copy right sticker.

Removing the sticker will not help as the video has the copyright notice at the start of the tape.

Any ideas?

try to call this # 93484175 they do transfer VHS,MiniDV,Digital photos from Compact Flash & Secure Digital to VCD/DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSum:
    I've got some langauge cassettes etc that would be great to have transferred to CD so I can hopefully extend their half-life and also make it easier to travel with.

Will these shops do that? Any suggestions?

Cheers!
    You can transfer them to your computer. Why do you need to pay someone to do it?

Cant believe its been two months since I was staggering on Stanely St.

I finally sent the VHS cassette to India where it was transferred to DVD without any fuss, and only cost about 30/- more , including postage. The only hassle was waiting for the package to reach and arrive back to me.

Was that USD30 including p+p? Does the DVD show a DVD menu from which you can choose titles and/or chapters and what is the overall quality of the audio and video?