Like Tree1Likes

HK ID card

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK ID card

Hi,

I am an American who moved to HK in August of 2008 to do my full-time MBA. It was then that I applied for and received my HK ID card. However it does not have an expiration date. I finished up my MBA at the end of 2009 but have now started a small LTD in HK. I have a few questions.

1) Is my HK ID card still valid? How can I check its validity?
    2) I would like to keep my residency on the record so after 7 years I can get the right of abode. Do I need to do anything special? Can I use my business to "update" or refresh my HKID?

Sorry I am bit ignorant on this but I would like to make sure I am taking the proper steps to keep HK residency.

Thanks in advance!

You must be on some sort of visa, Study visa? the expiration date of your visa will be on your US passport.

garvatron likes this.

There should be a visa endorsed by HK Immigration in your passport, is it a Student visa and what's the expiry date?

Sorry I didnt see Beuze's post asking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by garvatron:
    Hi,
    ...2) I would like to keep my residency on the record so after 7 years I can get the right of abode. Do I need to do anything special? Can I use my business to "update" or refresh my HKID?
    The eligibility for right of abode has nothing to do with your ID card or any residency on record. You have to be ordinarily residing here on a valid visa throughout the whole period without interruption. Exceptions apply, for example studying abroad.
    Your ID card doesn't lose validity after your visa expires, but can't be used anymore to enter or leave the territory.

If your Study Visa expired and you didn't get any other sort of visa and you didn't exit and re-enter HK as a Visitor then you are Illegal and will probably be deported as soon as the ImmD / Police catch up with you.

If you did re-enter as a Visitor and are working, then you are Illegal. See above.

So the key question is, what Visa you currently hold?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

To add to what PDLM said, if you are not here with a current visa (e.g. study, employment, QMAS) I believe the counter for PR resets to zero.

That is indeed correct.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Then again he would be here under IANG:

Non-local fresh graduates who wish to apply to stay and work in the HKSAR are not required to secure an offer of employment upon application. They may be granted 12 months' stay on time limitation without other conditions of stay provided that normal immigration requirements are met.

Only if they have specifically applied for it - they don't get it automatically.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast