Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PDLM
  • 1 Post By roaaad
  • 1 Post By esears2004

Extension of stay under QMAS

Closed Thread

Extension of stay under QMAS

Hi,

I am admitted through the general point test under QMAS. I intend to obtain an extension of stay at the end of my first 12-month period by establishing my own consulting company in HK. Is there any of you have experience on this? As for business start-up I'd like to know if a virtual office rental agreement can be regarded as an "office tenancy agreetment" set out as one of the proofs that I already have established a decent business.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

I don't have direct experience, but my expectation is that you would need to show revenue streams (or at least contracts) not just costs to demonstrate that you have a business.

Moreover, my understanding was that for QMAS the requirement at the end of the first 12 months was simply to demonstrate that you had taken up residence here, and that it was not until the second extension at 24 months that you had to demonstrate a job or business.

akdeng likes this.

My understanding of QMAS is to give you enough time to find job within one year of your visa. So, if I were you better do it within one year.

akdeng likes this.

My experience

I got through the first extension without an office lease agreement or revenue - but with product development nearly finished and, thus, having something to sell in the not too distant future (this is a research/publication type business). The threshold for the first extension therefore doesn't seem to be that high, even for those who set up their own companies. BUT I strongly advise that you make a good case for yourself with proper and structured documentation and spend time writing a good business plan. In my experience a well documented case, well written and complete, can get you quite far with the IMMD.

akdeng likes this.

Hi roaaad,

Excellent information!
    In (xii) of 71 from the QMAS guidedance notes, it states that applicant needs to provide actual monetary investment of the applicant in the company with proof. What kind of proof that immd is looking for?

Cheers.