Can I renew child Return Home Permit?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can I renew child Return Home Permit?

Hi I tried to look through the forum but didn't see this one. Hopefully someone can help me.

My husband and I are planning to go to mainland China to visit relatives. The expired Return Home Permit that my husband has was issued when he was a child and the permit was issued on his father's Return Home Permit (instead of having his own document/card). So I am wondering if my husband can renew the Return Home Permit using this child permit, aka his dad's expired permit? I am worried because the permit technically wasn't issued to him but was issued to a dependent of his father.

Is this a problem or am I thinking too much?
    Posted via Mobile Device

what is his current status now?

He was born in HK (dad born in China) and moved to Canada 20 years ago. Now a Canadian citizen.
    Have expired HK id ***

Last edited by cynwlau; 25-06-2010 at 02:20 PM.

He should be eligible, but depends if they consider it a new application or a "renewal".

If they consider it a new application, then he may need a HKSAR passport as proof of Chinese citizenship (this will just add time to the application). From what I've read and heard, renewals typically just require the old document.

it is no use or good to have an expired hong kong id card in hong kong.

there are a few stages the OP needs to realise to obtaining a return village pass....

immgriation rules are always changing.

the current situation requires the OP to do the following:

the OP's husband needs to update his hong kong id card because his old card has expired.

with the new hong kong id card; apply for a hong kong sar passport.

with the hong kong id card and the hong kong sar passport; apply for a return village pass.......mentioning the OP's husband did have a child return village pass, to avoid being penalise for wrong information.

all the above stages will take time and money.

i hope this has help.

Quote Originally Posted by willho:
    with the new hong kong id card; apply for a hong kong sar passport.
    Nowadays holding a HKID doesn't automatically entitle one to a HKSAR passport. I know many people who have 3 stars on their HKID but nonetheless have been rejected for HKSAR passport.

Thanks everybody for their advice.

So sounds like we can't get away from obtaining the HKSAR passport. Timing is an issue as we will only be in HK for less than 3 weeks. How long will the whole process take? Also what should we bring to show that we are eligible for the passport?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Renewal of HKID takes 2 weeks. I am not sure if you can apply for HKSAR passport before you receive HKID. Passport will also take 2 weeks. Finally when you have the passport you can apply for the home return permit. I think the permit takes about 2 weeks as well. If you are not in HK you can have someone pick it up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    Renewal of HKID takes 2 weeks. I am not sure if you can apply for HKSAR passport before you receive HKID. Passport will also take 2 weeks. Finally when you have the passport you can apply for the home return permit. I think the permit takes about 2 weeks as well. If you are not in HK you can have someone pick it up for you.
    So it sounds like I won't be able to get the Home Return Permit during my stay in HK.

An alternative is to get visa in Canada. However I have read that recently they have changed the rules to the issuance of visa to Hong Kong born Canadian and only the city code HKG will be issued on the visa instead of the country code CHN. Have anybody experienced difficulty in obtaining visa to China? Also, if we were successful in getting the visa, would we lose the eligibility for the return home permit in the future?

Canada Foreign Affairs website has the following www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=55000

The Government of the People's Republic of China has modified requirements for the issuance of visas to Canadian
    citizens born in Hong Kong, Macao, or Taiwan. Visas will no
    longer be issued to Canadian passport holders whose place
    of birth is inscribed as Hong Kong HKG, Macao MAC, or (city
    name) TWN. Canadian passports issued to Canadians born in Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan are now issued only with the
    place of birth and not the three-letter country code.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by cynwlau:
    So it sounds like I won't be able to get the Home Return Permit during my stay in HK.

An alternative is to get visa in Canada. However I have read that recently they have changed the rules to the issuance of visa to Hong Kong born Canadian and only the city code HKG will be issued on the visa instead of the country code CHN. Have anybody experienced difficulty in obtaining visa to China? Also, if we were successful in getting the visa, would we lose the eligibility for the return home permit in the future?

Canada Foreign Affairs website has the following China Travel Advice and Advisories | Government of Canada

Posted via Mobile Device
    That passport country code change was from 7-8 years ago. Anyone born in these places now should have a passport that does not show those codes. So for this there is no issue.

Generally there shouldn't be an issue unless they somehow know you have/had a home return permit, in which they might not give you a visa. But Chinese records are likely messy and they won't notice.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast