dependant visa change to work visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

dependant visa change to work visa

Hello all!

I've been looking through this site and forum- very helpful. Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the exact info I'm looking for.

Here's my situation...

My wife just accepted a position in HK, full sponsorship, etc. I have to remain behind for a bit (work obligations, etc.) but will join her in about four months time. As I understand my obtaining a dependant visa should be a matter of course, but I will not be able to work as a dependant.

If I come to Hong Kong on a dependant visa and then located an employer willing to sponsor, is it relatively easy to change a dependant visa over to a work visa with a proper working permit? Does one have to leave the country to do this or can it be done in Hong Kong?

Is this commonly done? Has anyone else out there been in a similar situation?

A little background info... my wife is an Australian citizen, I am American. We have certified copies of our marriage cert. and copies of our degrees and other relevant documents needed when pursuing employment. As I stated, she's already going thru the process of getting her visa and work permit sorted out, we're just trying to figure out how best to approach my situation.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
    ryuro

Hi, I"m going through this at the moment. Heres the situation:

1. If you from Aus or NZ and under 30 you can get a working visa for 1 year
    2. If you come over as a dependant spouse (as i have) you will need to be sponsored and you'll have to firstly get a contract, then take it to immigration and there will need to be sufficient reason why they are wanting to employ you over a local - ie uni degree, skills, other qualifications. I think you also must work a certain amount of hours.

If you go to the hong kong immigration web page it explains it all. www.immd.gov.hk

Quote Originally Posted by ryuro:
    Hello all!

I've been looking through this site and forum- very helpful. Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the exact info I'm looking for.

Here's my situation...

My wife just accepted a position in HK, full sponsorship, etc. I have to remain behind for a bit (work obligations, etc.) but will join her in about four months time. As I understand my obtaining a dependant visa should be a matter of course, but I will not be able to work as a dependant.

If I come to Hong Kong on a dependant visa and then located an employer willing to sponsor, is it relatively easy to change a dependant visa over to a work visa with a proper working permit? Does one have to leave the country to do this or can it be done in Hong Kong?

Is this commonly done? Has anyone else out there been in a similar situation?

A little background info... my wife is an Australian citizen, I am American. We have certified copies of our marriage cert. and copies of our degrees and other relevant documents needed when pursuing employment. As I stated, she's already going thru the process of getting her visa and work permit sorted out, we're just trying to figure out how best to approach my situation.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
    ryuro

done it got the t-shirt. Yes is the answer IF you find a company to sponsor the visa application.
    However, finding that company may prove difficult because the working visa application process takes up to three months. Know any employer happy to wait three months? unemployment rate is relatively high just now, improving, and I am guessing will be full on before the end of year. good luck

If you do get an employer willing to sponsor you, you do have to leave the country and re-enter with the new visa. But that can be easily done by going across the border to Macau or Shenzen.

Quote Originally Posted by scr:
    If you do get an employer willing to sponsor you, you do have to leave the country and re-enter with the new visa. But that can be easily done by going across the border to Macau or Shenzen.
    When a working visa is granted, normally for a period of 2yrs, it takes effect from the day immigration put sticker
    into your passport. There is no requirement to leave HK unless your tourist visa or other visa has expired.

If you overstay and later try to leave after your visa expiry date you will be hauled in for serious questioning (made that mistake) whether you were here on working or other visa.

cheers

ooops, sorry

Right now it's Spore...going to be HK soon

Question

can i ask if when a dependent visa change to work visa, what is the procedure involved? Do we need to get out of HK first and fly back in again as a work visa cos of the change of status?

I understand that a work visa is normally issued for a length of 2 years, during the 2 years, are we allowed to change employment? Or do we have to stay with the same employer during these 2 years? If we resigned, does that mean our work visa is automatically cancelled? And if we're hired by another company, does this mean that company got to reapply for us all over again? Somebody pls help!

Emigra

Hello

Generally if you leave a company before your employment visa has expired you can stay in Hong Kong until it expires, but you cannot work for another company on that employment visa. If you do find another employer before the visa expires from the first employer then you can arrange change of sponsorship and then arrange the employment visa to be changed to the second company. Once this change of sponsorship has been approved you can then work for the second company.

Hi .

i'm a Dependent Visa Holder,But my Husband was deputed from India, and he has a working Visa. Now i'm Legally working in TST ,SINCE I GOT A WORKING VISA.I got the Visa due to my dependent status on him.Check this out if it helps u

Things u need to have.

Form : Application of Working Visa
    and 2 > Extention of stay in Hongkong

3 >Sponsor's ( Company's ) Buisness Certificate.
    4> Company's Audit Report
    5> Photocopy of u'rs and company's( Owners) ID CARD
    6> Last 6 months bank Statements
    7> aPPOINTMENT LETTER GIVEN BY THE COMPANY
    8>cONTRACT OF sERVICE (iNCLUDES NO: OF DAYS U HAVE SICK LEAVE,
    HOUSING FACILITIES IF ANY, U'R PAY , DATE OF JOINING)
    9> Take along u'r Passport and ID Card
    FILL THE FORM WITH COMPANY'S CHOP , AND SUBMIT WITH ALL DOCUMENTS ..
    10> u'r Degree Certificate and previous Experience related to the job

If u have submited all the documents to HK Immigration Dept ,Wanchai(5th Floor), they will give u a card with a reference number, and u would be getting the visa by 20 days . if u don't get it within that period ,go the immigration dept and show u'r reference number .

bEST OF LUCK
    Regards Britney

I've been reading through a few threads, if anyone can clarify...

To get a dependant visa, your partner has to prove they can financially support you; yes/no, or you automatically recieve it if you are married?

Would a dependant find it easier to gain sponsorship from a company as they are already allowed to stay and not on a holiday visa?

Sorry if this is recovering old ground.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast