Entering HK w/ Dependent visa and applying for HKID

Closed Thread

Entering HK w/ Dependent visa and applying for HKID

Good day Everyone,

My wife will be entering HK with her dependent visa and applying for HKID. I understand her HKID is not permanent. Will it cause any problems or restrictions in her case, because she still have to finish her 2 years work contract in Canada and will just spend a few days in HK and go back to Canada.

Thank you for your advises.

Sincerely yours,

Alvyn

If you are a HK Citizen then her visa will be good as long as you are married and she won't have any restrictions on what she can do (work, study etc) while she is in Hong Kong.

But for her HKID to become "permanent" (i.e. for her to have the Permanent Right of Abode in HK) she would have to be ordinarily resident in HK for a continuous period of 7 years. Those 7 years will not start until she moves to HK from Canada. Simply getting the visa/ID card doesn't "start the clock".

Hkid

Good day PDLM,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I am a HK permanent resident and we are both in Canada finishing our 2 years of work contract. I applied her for a dependent visa some months ago and it was approved. Now the HK Immigration Department have issue the entry visa and I'll ask my sister in HK to pick it up and send it to us. My question are as follows:

a. Will the HK Immigration Department doubt her intention of staying in HK after entering and applying for the HKID and leave HK right away to finish her work 2 years work contract in Canada and come to live in HK after then?

b.And within 2 years of absence in HK, does she have to visit each year so not to lose her HKID or let the HK Immigration doubt of her intention of making HK her permanent residence?

c. What is the lowest airfare season to visit HK?

Sincerely yours,

Alvyn

i believe so long as she has a dependent visa she can come and go as she pleases... the only restriction would be that the visa will have an expiry date and she must apply to have an extension granted...

other than that, they won't care why she's coming back and forth...

Best time to enter HK with dependent visa to minimize the years of extension

Good day Carang and Everyone,

The HK Immigration Department sent my sister an approval letter for my wife's dependent visa on 2 June 2006. Our work contract won't be finish until October 2008. I was wondering when is the best month in 2007 to have the dependent visa validated and apply her a HKID, to minimize the years to extend her visa before the we go back after October 2008.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Alvyn

The thing I don't understand about all of this is why did you apply for a dependent visa for your wife to take up residence now if in fact you don't want to take up residence until October 2008?

Best time to enter HK with dependent visa to minimize the years of extension

Good day Everyone,

I didn't know after the interview with HK Immigration Officer and the process was already initiated. I know it is a wrong decision and move on our part but I'm willing to correct the harm done my wife's dependent extension process.

Can you advise us what is the best solution to our case?

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Alvyn

I would say the best solution would be to write to the Immigration Department, explain your situation - that your plans have changed and that in fact your wife won't be taking up residence here until2008 - and ask their advice. ImmD (and all HK bureaucracy in my experience) are really quite helpful and efficient provided that you are open and honest with them.

ImmD's email: [email protected]