How difficult is it to get a HK working visa?

How difficult is it to get a HK working visa?

Hi there, I would like to work for an English language institue/school in HK. How difficult is it for a school to sponsor an English teacher with the right qualifications (BA+TEFL+Experience) in order to get a working visa?

The people on this forum have been great!!

Thanks

You want to look at the NET scheme ... Native English Teacher. Applicants under that scheme get visas pretty quickly.

http://www.hketo.ca/news/pages/Dec-05-2003_NETS.html

Teaching

I am not a teacher, however based on the adverts here in HK, I feel it would be no problem.

Visa processing takes up to three months, legally one is not permitted to work during processing period. HK is an expensive city if you have no income.

And don't forget that landlord's demand three months rent up front; comprising two month's as deposit and one month as advance payment.

good luck. cheers.

No PGDE!!

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    You want to look at the NET scheme ... Native English Teacher. Applicants under that scheme get visas pretty quickly.

http://www.hketo.ca/news/pages/Dec-05-2003_NETS.html
    Thanks for the link. I've already applied for the NET Scheme (still waiting for an interview), but I don't have a PGCE/PGDE (yet!) and I've heard that it is unlikely to get onto the Scheme without one. Having said that, I'm still not sure whether a PGDE is needed for teaching primary. Have any ideas please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockycocktail:
    Thanks for the link. I've already applied for the NET Scheme (still waiting for an interview), but I don't have a PGCE/PGDE (yet!) and I've heard that it is unlikely to get onto the Scheme without one. Having said that, I'm still not sure whether a PGDE is needed for teaching primary. Have any ideas please?

Thanks
    There is a surplus of PNETs at the moment and there is expected to be an influx of teachers later this year. If you do not have a degree in English or a B.Ed then SNET would be very difficult to get into. NET scheme interviews have been ongoing for a few weeks now...when did you apply?

Why don't you post this question to a teacher's website?

Quote Originally Posted by squid:
    Why don't you post this question to a teacher's website?
    And why don't you check the original date this was posted!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Jimbo - exactly.......

And to add.......rockycocktail actually made it to HK back in 2004 and worked a a Primary Teacher for 2 years before leaving HK in 2006 to work elsewhere.......he's been and gone, and for me the loss of yet another drinking buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:

ouch! ha ha...I thought that I saw this thread in the "new topics" section! thanks for pointing this out.