Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PDLM

Nationality change and employment visa

Closed Thread

Nationality change and employment visa

I am working in Hong Kong now. I will change my nationality. Here come my questions:

1) What do I do with my current employment visa? Have to go down to Immigration to transfer my employment visa to my new passport? How soon can this transfer, if there is and if it is called transfer, be done? During the transfer, am I allowed to work?

2) Do I have to inform Immigration of my nationality change?

Thanks.
    (as usual and like others, I will ask Immigration, but just would like to have an idea first here)

Last edited by zhanghz; 15-07-2010 at 11:30 PM.

If you will renounce your previous nationality then I would say it is necessary to make a "Transfer of Endorsement". Details here: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department Obviously, if the nationality you are taking on is one of the ones that are handled "specially" (China, Taiwan, Afghanistan, etc) then there may be consequences, but otherwise I don't think this will be an issue for ImmD.

If you are just gaining a second nationality but keeping the old one then not, but remember that you need to carry the passport with your visa in whenever you exit or enter HK. There's no reason to tell ImmD in this case.

The transfer happens on the spot, so the "during the transfer" question is moot.

zhanghz likes this.