Canadian Customs & HK ID Card

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Canadian Customs & HK ID Card

I will be taking my first trip home to Canada since receiving my HK ID card. I'd like to bring some t-shirts, bags, dvds etc. home for the family. I don't think I need to fill in a declaration when I enter Canada, but I just want to be 100% sure. I did flip through the "I Declare (RC4044)" document on their website, but I just wanted to ask those with a little experiance.

Thanks!

so long as they are personal items, you shouldn't have any problems.

What about gifts?

i think that there is a price limit for gifts, but i'm not sure what it is...

having a HKID in no way affects what you can take back... it's the length of time you've been gone i believe....

I think you can bring back gifts under a $60 value. I was more uncertain about the declaration because I am not currently a Canadian resident. I know I can bring my own personal things in the country hassle free, but I wasn't sure about things that I plan on leaving behind. I'm sure I'm really just overthinking this.

yep, you are... i've never had a problem.. i've been here for 11.5 years and have been back to canada about 8 times and not once has there been any problem...

it's not like you're taking 200 t-shirts back, right?

I think it was $700 instead of $60, for those whose been away from Canada for more than a week. Plus if you are not Canadian reisdent, they don't really care.

do what everyone else does...lie!

bastids don't deserve out taxes anyway, just becuz they say so

hv all the canadians working in hk declared non-residency? it's been bothering me. been here for over a year now. it's time i do it, right? that entails losing my drivers licence and stocks and accounts and stuff right? arghh.. dont know if i'm ready for that

I am non-resident, but my boss has a friend who works for RevCan (those bastids) and he says declaring non-residency just puts you on their radar. the fact that you left means you are non-resident. You can retain your RRSP's as long as you don't add or withdraw from them, however you can manipulate existing holdings to maximize returns.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast