Like Tree1Likes

Enter HK on tourist visa, get married there = dependant visa?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    long story short, you need to be married. she needs to gain permanent residency in the uk. get a dependant visa. then she can come to hk and give birth. i dont think she needs to be in hk before 28 weeks. she can be in shenzhen and travel by train to hk when all the paper is sorted out.

Your right. But it clearly states that any Chinese from the mainland who are more than 28 weeks pregnany MUST have a " slot " to give birth at a Chinese hospital at great expense. Therefore as far as I'm concerned entering HK before my finace is 28 wks pregnant is a prerequisite. Is that not correct?

Thanks again.

But even if you enter before 28 weeks, if she doesn't have a visa by the time she gives birth then you're going to need to pay the private charges for the delivery etc which I believe is around HK$60,000.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    But even if you enter before 28 weeks, if she doesn't have a visa by the time she gives birth then you're going to need to pay the private charges for the delivery etc which I believe is around HK$60,000.
    Yes you're right PDLM. Thanks for confirming that. It looks like the best policy will be to get married in the UK (fingers crossed) then my fiance stay in her home town in China and give birth there (with the support of her family) and wait for her dependant visa to be processed.

Alternatively what about the following:

If we get married in the UK in 2-3 weeks time then my fiance waits in her home town in China until she obtains the dependant visa is it ok for her to go to HK say when she is 33 weeks pregnant and use the National Health service hospitals at the very cheap rates?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by pingpangqiu:
    If we get married in the UK in 2-3 weeks time then my fiance waits in her home town in China until she obtains the dependant visa is it ok for her to go to HK say when she is 33 weeks pregnant and use the National Health service hospitals at the very cheap rates?
    definitively the better approach. not because of the price, but because of the quality of the heath care. there is a reason why so many mainland women prefer to deliver in HK vs mainland

Notwithstanding the cost of giving birth in HK, if your mainland wife gives birth in Hong Kong, the child will automatically have right of abode there, if you find that important. Whether that's worth it, it's up to you.

Might be worth a lot for the kid, he'll have the holy grail of a European PP with ROA/RTL for the rest of his life, something which quite a few expats wish they had!

Thanks fth. Can you confirm that if the baby is born in HK it will have a European PP with ROA/RTL in HK/Mainland China? stupid question but if the baby is born in Mainland China will it need a visa to enter HK? it seems that being born in HK as opposed to mainland China will make life easier in terms of visas for the UK and HK is that also the case for mainland China?

Quote Originally Posted by pingpangqiu:
    Can you confirm that if the baby is born in HK it will have a European PP with ROA/RTL in HK/Mainland China?
    Depends on your country what case they would grant citizenship if born abroad.

stupid question but if the baby is born in Mainland China will it need a visa to enter HK? it seems that being born in HK as opposed to mainland China will make life easier in terms of visas for the UK and HK is that also the case for mainland China?
    Yes, it would need some sort of visa to live in HK. As your wife is a Chinese citizen, a child born to her in HK will automatically have right of abode, so no visa needed.

UK citizenship depends on how you qualified for UK citizenship. If you were born in the UK you child can become a UK citizen by descent. British nationality law is complicated as hell but it is worth reading the links.

Read the following from the perspective of your child to be

"If you were born outside the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983

This section also applies to you if you were born outside a qualifying territory on or after 21 May 2002 and had a parent who was a British citizen.

Whether or not you are a British citizen depends on the type of citizenship your parents had. This may be British citizenship by descent or otherwise than by descent.

British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So if you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and one of your parents was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, you are a British citizen by descent. If you were born before 1 July 2006 you may not qualify if your parents were not married at the time of your birth........

If you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and your parents were British citizens by descent, you are not a British citizen. However, you may be able to apply to register as a British citizen (see registration of a child)."

What might be of importance is your COA, because if you get married in the UK without it the government of the UK might not recognize the marriage on behalf of your child. As a parent is (per the UKBA website) states.

"A parent is the biological mother of a child, the biological father if he was married to the mother when the child was born or if he can prove paternity, or the adoptive mother or father of a child who has been legally adopted."

You may want to speak to a UK immigration lawyer here.

UK Border Agency | If you were born outside the United Kingdom or a qualifying territory

UK Border Agency | Can I register a person under 18 as a British citizen or for another form of nationality?

Thanks a lot fth I will check out those links and look at the possibility of contacting an immigration lawyer if everything is not crystal after hours of Internet reseach.