Do I need a work visa?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do I need a work visa?

I will be working in HK for 3 months from Jan 07. I have a ID card that lets me work/live/study but does not have the three stars.
    My employer said that I still need to apply for a work visa. Is this true? I thought that having the ID card was sufficient to be able to work. I have been given form ID(E) 936 to fill out but it seems to be for foreigners rather than ID card holders

If you ID card says on the back "Holder has right of abode in Hong Kong" or "Holder has right to land in Hong Kong" then you do not need anything further in order to work.

The *** is nothing to do with whether you can work or not - it is (very roughly, I know it isn't exactly this, but please let's not have this discussion here again) an indication of Chinese citizenship.

My ID card says nothing on the the back except that it is only to be used by someone over 18.
    However the card was given to me because I have the right to land (thats the one where u can still get deported right?) and I have a letter from the immigration department saying this. If this is the case then what rights does the card itself give? I can't believe I still need a visa after all the trouble I went through to get the card.
    Has anyone else experienced somethign similar?

your card doesn't state that you have the right to land?

that's strange...

mine says that i have the right of abode.
    if you have a letter from immig that says you have the right to land you should be ok... but you may need to get a new ID card issued when you get here. they have introduced a "smart id card" that everyone, by law, must get. but they only take certain years at a time while they are doing all the replacements.

I have the smart ID card already. It is colourful and with the microchip.
    My mother has ROA but her card doesn't say any words either.
    aaaargh we have fake cards!!!

Do you have a U0 or C0 on your card?

methozip, mine doesn't say anything on the back either. With an ID like that you'll still need visa that'll allow you to stay and work here. Your employer will sponsor you, right? You can either apply for a working or a training visa, depending on what you're doing.

What is U0 or C0? Mine is R(0) then a number.
    Yes my employer will sponsor but I just thought that by having the card, that gives automatic working rights. So what can I do with the card? Do I enter HK using the card at immigration?

Go here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkid_frontinfo.htm

If your card where it says "Symbols" has "R" (and also probably an O) then you have the Right to Land and you do not need an Employment Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Go here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkid_frontinfo.htm

If your card where it says "Symbols" has "R" (and also probably an O) then you have the Right to Land and you do not need an Employment Visa.
    Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. Methozip will still need some kind of visa. I'm a dependant, have therefore the right to work, there's also an R on my ID but I still need a visa that I have to re-apply every 2nd year.

Methozip, when you enter HK you have to show your HK ID card at immigration. Depending on your status they will also look at your passport and check for a valid visa.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast