Like Tree1Likes

Working Visa isnt ready!!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    I don't think there is a problem with this. I'm surprised you could get a one way ticket as I thought it was quite difficult. I couldn't get a one way ticket WITHOUT a visa.
    Yup your most likely problem will be a jobsworth at the check-in counter not immigration.

You can use auto check-in machines in some airports now to bypass these kinds of checks. I did it in Australia last month.

For example, if you purchase tickets online using a credit card, you have to show photo ID when checking in. But if you use the auto checkin machine, you just enter the booking reference and out pops your boarding pass.

I tested this theory out. On the first leg of my flight between Sydney and Perth, I used the machine and did not need to show any photo ID. Then on the return leg from Perth to Sydney, I went to a normal counter and the staff asked to see my photo ID.

Someone didnt think these machines through properly.

The staff at the gate are supposed to check your documents in that situation - they should get a message to that effect when they scan your boarding pass.

But domestic flights are different - photo ID is just a revenue protection mechanism for the airline - no-one else cares if they carry someone other than the person whose name is on the ticket. For international travel the problem is that the airline is liable if the passenger is turned away by immigration at the destination.

Last edited by PDLM; 10-08-2010 at 05:51 PM.

I am in the same situation as the OP. I have been approved for a working visa (after 6 weeks), but no information has come through about collecting it and have also been told to fly on a tourist visa and then after a few days go to Macau.
    Exactly the same issue with flights too. I have a one way ticket for Saturday and I am sure I'll be ok as after many one way flights I have only had problems at check in once (Garuda 6 years ago - I had to sign something that absolved the airline from responsibility if I was dnied entry), but the wife is Pinoy so I am a bit scared she'll be denied boarding or not get into HK.
    Will report back after the event.

Just thought I would leave an updated to say I made it to Hong Kong.
    I was asked no questons at check in, they just let me on the flight and had no problems at the airport here.
    Egon hope your flight went okay today!

Nice one Alba. No problems getting in for me too. I was asked if I had an onward ticket at check-in , so told them I was going to Macau and they immediately issued boarding cards. Hong Kong entry was no problem for me, but my wife would have had lots of difficulties getting in on a tourist visa if she had been travelling alone. In the end, my passport got her in too.

Glad you both got in okay Egon!