Like Tree1Likes

Working Visa isnt ready!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Working Visa isnt ready!!!

Hey,

I am leaving for Hong Kong on Friday and my company have just informed me that my working visa is not ready yet and that I am to come in on a tourist visa.

I am worried about this, is it easy to come in on a tourist visa as I have no return or onward ticket?

Also when my visa is ready I assume I will need to leave the country and re-enter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you have an EU passport then the chances of you being asked for your onward or return ticket are negligible.

Yes, you will need to exit and re-enter to activate your Employment Visa. Going to Macau for a few hours is fine.

It is of course illegal to commence work in Hong Kong until you have done this.

Is your potential employer a reputable company? Or is it a dodgy language centre which is simply taking advantage of you?

Can you afford just to fly back home if it transpires that the visa is not granted (or indeed that it has never been applied for)?

Thanks for replying so quickly!

I have a British Passport so that should be okay then.

My company is a rebutable there is no problems there and my visa should be ready the first week I am there as I applied just under four weeks ago and my employment does not commence until the end of the start of next month.

If there is any problems I can fly home but I think, fingers crossed its okay. I have worked for this complany in other countries for years so I am sure they will have applied for the visa.

Thanks so much for all the information!

OK - fair enough; I'm surprised you have seen the visa application though given that you must have submitted various supporting documents for it. I am aware of other people whose visa applications are taking a while at the moment. It is peak season - lots of people move around during the school holidays.

I started work in HK without my full visa - though my boss at the time would probably debate that.

Well so did I to be honest. But if it's an internal transfer it is a fuzzy line between when you stop working in another country, but on a temporary project in Hong Kong, and when you start working in Hong Kong.

The key factor is probably whether you still have a residence available for your use in the previous country.

Well I dont have to work until I get my visa so thats not so bad.

My main worry is just being stopped at the airport.

I havent seen my visa application since I couriered all the documents over.

Fingers crossed it all works out.

If you are doing an internal relocation with a reputable employer for whom you have been working already, this can happen and often people will risk it. Just make sure that you remain on your non Hong Kong employment contract.

If however you are starting a new job in one of the more notorious sectors (two worst offenders for expats being language teaching and commission based financial "advice"). There is a chance that the application has not even been submitted. There are companies who are especially well known for this that we can't name without Shri getting nasty letters from lawyers.

When you signed your application and had it submitted you should have received an application number, and you can check your application status here.

GovHK: Online Application Status Enquiry

I don't think there is a problem with this. I'm surprised you could get a one way ticket as I thought it was quite difficult. I couldn't get a one way ticket WITHOUT a visa.

Ah yes - getting on the plane may be an issue. The line you have to adopt to the airline is that you will be exiting Hong Kong to Macau by sea. You could also say "China" but they might ask for a China visa - you can tell them that you plan to get one in Hong Kong.

Egon likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast