Like Tree11Likes

Giving up British Nationality to Naturalise as HK Chinese Nationality

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

But wouldn't having a Hong Kong passport entitle you to a home return permit? Doesn't home return permit allow you to freely take up employment on the mainland? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mwong9413:
    I was told by an ex-immigration officer (now he is my lawyer) that if I naturalised as a HK Chinese citizen then that would be no problem as I already have (***)...
    I'd take what this PRC "ex-immigration officer" - now your lawyer - says with a big pinch of salt.

'Rules' change or 'get amended', or rather some interpretation of them, often without public notice. (So Dreadnought's point is valid, too.)

I fit your above list, but live permanently in HK, and from what I've gathered from hearsay and from Geo, we shouldn't be eligible for the HKSAR passport.

Dreadnought - I don't have a HKSAR passport but have a HRP, which I got replaced/renewed recently without the need of one, because I got it years ago before they tightened the 'rules'. With it I can go work in the mainland IF for a Hong Kong-based company with a presence up there.
    Last edited by emmie; 28-08-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Dreadnought likes this.

No it doesn't, although most people are not aware of the fact. HK and Macau SAR residents should apply for a working visa if working for a mainland company. That's the official take, how it works in practice is another thing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Dreadnought likes this.

Hello Everyone, I am of:

-Chinese descent ,
    -Bristish Citizen by birth (born in 1981, UK),
    -Possess HKPI, AO(***), by descent prior to 1997,
    -Home- return permit (obtained this priro to 1997, and just got it renew this year).

My question I would like to naturalise as a HK Chinese Nationality and Renounce (give up) my British citizenship/Nationality. After when this process is complete (may take 6-9months), I would like to re-apply for the British Nationality and at the same time still have HK Chinese nationality.

Has any one done something similar to this before? Can I still use my British passport in HK since I have already told them I have renounced it?

Thank you for your assistance.
    Anybody in a similar situation as me!!!! Please provide your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie:
    ...I don't have a HKSAR passport but have a HRP, which I got replaced/renewed recently without the need of one, because I got it years ago before they tightened the 'rules'. With it I can go work in the mainland IF for a Hong Kong-based company with a presence up there.
    Would it be any different if you did have a Hong Kong SAR passport?

@Mwong
    Could you please PM me the details of the immigration lawyer. I have a friend who wishes to give up his US Citizenship and apply for Chinese Nationality.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Would it be any different if you did have a Hong Kong SAR passport?
    With a SAR passport, this would determind your status as a HK Chinese nationality, which is a pre-requiste for a lot of things such as HRP, and other future documents. Overseas IDs will slowly be erased by the Mainland Chinese, or give less options to these people accessing China, as their objective is to unify HK with China in all aspects such as Policing, Medical, Law. 50 years later they don't want specialities, especially in HK.

So if you are thinking about getting the SAR passport, do it now before it is too late and they have decided that you are no longer eligible...yes?

With a SAR passport, this would determind your status as a HK Chinese nationality, which is a pre-requiste for a lot of things such as HRP, and other future documents. Overseas IDs will slowly be erased by the Mainland Chinese, or give less options to these people accessing China, as their objective is to unify HK with China in all aspects such as Policing, Medical, Law. 50 years later they don't want specialities, especially in HK.
    In the future any new regulations for HK residents, China will have pre-requistes such as being China nationality, permanent residence, with HKPI CARD. You can see that for the Home-Permit Return tey have increased the barrier for this document.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    So if you are thinking about getting the SAR passport, do it now before it is too late and they have decided that you are no longer eligible...yes?
    I am eligible for the HKSAR passport if I naturalise as a Chinese Citizen and possess HKPI card. Other factors that they take into account are:

"-They are near relatives of Chinese nationals;
    -They have settled in China; or
    -They have other legitimate reasons.

Any person who applies for naturalisation as a Chinese national shall acquire Chinese nationality upon approval of his application; a person whose application for naturalisation as a Chinese national has been approved shall not retain foreign nationality."

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast