Like Tree11Likes

Giving up British Nationality to Naturalise as HK Chinese Nationality

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Giving up British Nationality to Naturalise as HK Chinese Nationality

Hello Everyone, I am of:

-Chinese descent ,
    -Bristish Citizen by birth (born in 1981, UK),
    -Possess HKPI, AO(***), by descent prior to 1997,
    -Home- return permit (obtained this priro to 1997, and just got it renew this year).

My question I would like to naturalise as a HK Chinese Nationality and Renounce (give up) my British citizenship/Nationality. After when this process is complete (may take 6-9months), I would like to re-apply for the British Nationality and at the same time still have HK Chinese nationality.

Has any one done something similar to this before? Can I still use my British passport in HK since I have already told them I have renounced it?

Thank you for your assistance.

What are you trying to achieve? You already got the best situation as you already got UK passport which allows you to travel to most countries in the world and then you got HK ID and Home return permit which gives you seamless access to China. I am really puzzled by your question. Is it work related?

You would be breaking the Chinese Nationality law if you resumed your British nationality after naturalising as a Chinese Citizen.

However, if you have recently renewed your HRP and your HKID still has *** on it then it seems quite likely that HK ImmD regards you as a Chinese Citizen from birth. In this case you don't need to renounce anything - you just need to apply for a HKSAR passport to prove it. GovHK: HKSAR Passport

mwong9413 likes this.

Thank you for your reply. You see in 2009 I had applied for the SAR passport online and then they requested further information i.e. my parents' status when I was born in the UK, but after seeing my parents' (already permanent citizens of UK before I was born). Therefore I was refused my application.

Well the HK immigration say that I am not a Chinese Citizen, but in Mainland they say I am a Chinese citizen of the HKSAR. So I would like to get this clear and considering the future if China makes changes again on the pre-requests of the Home-Permit then this would be a problem. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mwong9413:
    Hello Everyone, I am of:

-Chinese descent ,
    -Bristish Citizen by birth (born in 1981, UK),
    -Possess HKPI, AO(***), by descent prior to 1997,
    -Home- return permit (obtained this priro to 1997, and just got it renew this year)...
    Quote Originally Posted by mwong9413:
    Thank you for your reply. You see in 2009 I had applied for the SAR passport online and then they requested further information i.e. my parents' status when I was born in the UK, but after seeing my parents' (already permanent citizens of UK before I was born). Therefore I was refused my application.
    That's what I was about to say... They would ask for further info/details. Paper proof. End of story, I guess.

@mwong9413, so where do you live now? If the answer isn't Hong Kong then I don't think you can naturalise as a Chinese Citizen. Moreover, if you push this, you may lose your ***. If you lose you *** and have not been in HK at least once every 36 months during your life then you will also lose your Right of Abode and get downgraded to Right To Land.

Again, I echo WMDS's question - what are you trying to achieve? I can't see what you would get that is better than what you have now.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    @mwong9413, so where do you live now? If the answer isn't Hong Kong then I don't think you can naturalise as a Chinese Citizen. Moreover, if you push this, you may lose your ***. If you lose you *** and have not been in HK at least once every 36 months during your life then you will also lose your Right of Abode and get downgraded to Right To Land.

Again, I echo WMDS's question - what are you trying to achieve? I can't see what you would get that is better than what you have now.
    Hello PDLM, I am currently living in the Mainland China using my HRP. I was told by an ex-immigration officer (now he is my lawyer) that if I naturalised as a HK Chinese citizen then that would be no problem as I already have (***). Also why do you think I will lose my (***)? This was granted to me by descent prior to 1997. Thanks.

My guess would be free movement to/from the mainland and the ability to freely take up employment on the mainland without the need for a visa - which doesn't seem to be a problem now, but could be in future if, as the OP says, changes are made to the pre-requisites for home-return permits.

But you can't freely take up employment on the mainland anyway without a visa regardless of whether you have a HK passport or not.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast