Visa Issues

Closed Thread
    inprov

Visa Issues

Okay, our attorney is asking for additional documentaion each day to support our visa applications. I am worried about our financial standing. First of all, we do not have that much money. It is kind of embarrassing that they want 2 years worth of bank statements. All of our money is tied up in our house, which we are attempting to sell in this terrible market. My huband makes a very good income, but our liquid assets are few. We pay a hefty private school tuition and with three kids and a big mortgage, well, we have small bank accounts. Will this matter.

My husband is being transferred and has been with his employer for nearly 10 years, so his job is obviously stable. I am worried that our visas will get denied. Also, why do they want info about our parents? Is this a mistake on the lawyer's part? I do not want immigration to think we want to bring our parents over. We are trying to get away from them!

I would do it myself. Guess an attorney can not afford to make a mistake and wants to play super safe.
    My application was a breeze (about 6 month ago). Downloaded the form online, filled in the blanks, attached the usual supporting documents they want to have (all stated). Even after one document was missing, they just sent me a fax and in no time everything was settled. Very friendly people over the phone every time I had a question.
    I never had to disclose my financial background (there wouldn't be much anyway...) or details about my family.
    Based on some of your previous posts I would say there is no reason not to grant your husband a visa.
    My company has transfered people earning HK$ 25,000/month and below, none of them had a problem and the company never helped them in any way. None of them has a skill you would not find in HK beside maybe being with the company for a while.
    Did you have a look at the visa application form? Actually relatively simple and straight forward.

To summarize... I would not be too worried.

Your attorney is taking your employer for a ride. No-one I know (and I know about at least 10 visa applications) has EVER been asked for bank statements to support an employment application. Frankly they are not relevant - the criteria are simply around whether the job your husband is doing is one for which it is reasonable to employ an expat and whether he is qualified to do that job. Your financial standing and information about your parents is totally irrelevant.

Either your lawyer is totally incompetent or he is being paid by the page/hour and is just milking your employer. In either case, get rid of him: you really don't need a lawyer to do an Employment Visa application in HK, particularly on an internal transfer - the form takes a few minutes to complete - providing that you have the required supporting documentation (including a letter from your employer explaining why they need your husband specifically) then the process is very straightforward.

In summary: fire him/her and do it yourself - it really is very straightforward.

inprov

I just forwarded your post to my husband.

Thanks!

We definitely included bank statements with our application (though as I recall we just gave copies of the April statements for the last 2 years plus the last 6 months statements as we would have needed a crate to send them all over otherwise). We had to supply them as evidence for my dependant visa application, rather than hubby's employment visa application.

I don't know why they wanted all the information about our familes either, but we just filled it in anyway.