Like Tree2Likes

Hong Kong Visa Run?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I received e-mail replies from the ImmD regarding our visit with a flat in Hong Kong for us to stay of to 90 days a vist. According to them: we can stay up to 90 days each entry. Hong Kong welcomes visitors and never turns away 'bona-fide' visitors.

What I would like to know, would we be bona-fide visitors if we do this 2 times a year (90 days each) in the first and third quarter of each year because we would like to enjoy Hong Kong and possible some other regions and also enjoy our flat in Hong Kong?

Since we would be close to 60 years old then, we would probably be doing these trips back and forth from our headquarters in the Philippines to Hong Kong for about 15 years, (30 times entry and 30 times re-entry) even though, our stay in Hong Kong might be as long (180 days total or less) as we would live in the Philippines.

I've read: People with a Hong Kong passport can stay up to 6 months in Canada and only 7 days in the Philippines, visa-free.

Thanks.

Last edited by Ralphy; 08-10-2010 at 10:04 AM.

If you are clearly bona fide visitors then yes, no problem. But your entry to Hong Kong is always subject to the discretion and judgement of the Immigration Officer who processes you at the border. That being so, it would be wise to always have with you some evidence of this when you enter Hong Kong - your permanent residence permits for the Philippines and details of your property there, for example.

Thanks, PDLM. That makes sense, just in case they ask for some other documents, we would have it. Anyways, it could still be 8 years from now till we do the trips, but it could already be in the planning stage if we go this route. Flats aren't cheap in Hong Kong. We may be going to Hong Kong for a few days before year's end, just to get the feel of some of the areas. This may just be the beginning. Thanks again.

in case you dont already know, apartments are relatively expensive. $6.5m aint gonna buy you much nowadays.

Tsk, fuggin island mentality again.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Skyhook likes this.

You got still great buys in Tin Shui Wai, on the northwest side of the New Territories. Size 737 sq/ft (net 535 sq/ft) for HKD750,000. Lower floor. They are relatively newer highrises. About 9-10 years old.

It's seems to be a great place there. A couple of shopping centers. Clean, organized roads, nice sidewalks and a very good transportation to anywhere. MRT and LRT is very close at hand, plus buses and taxis.

Last edited by Ralphy; 08-10-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Tsk, fuggin island mentality again.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Too farkin funny.

One of our friends purchased a 700ft2 3 bedroom village house, the middle floor, which was in pretty tidy shape, located near the Tai Po wishing tree. she paid $900K 12 months ago, and spent a further $100K on some tasteful redecoration. She's only 30, earns a flight attendants salary, and bloody well good on her I reckon, that she managed to save half the purchase price, borrowing the rest, while her payments are cheaper than paying rent, for her own private space.

Her house has probably gone up a little since, but not enough to dispel any myth that there isn't any affordable property out there for those starting out, there is if you look, and willing to travel a bit further. As the OP is retired, I doubt they want to go to LKF and burn $1500 every night....
    Last edited by Skyhook; 08-10-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphy:
    You got still great buys in Tin Shui Wai, on the northwest side of the New Territories. Size 737 sq/ft (net 535 sq/ft) for HKD750,000. Lower floor. They are relatively newer highrises. About 9-10 years old.

It's seems to be a great place there. A couple of shopping centers. Clean, organized roads, nice sidewalks and a very good transportation to anywhere. MRT and LRT is very close at hand, plus buses and taxis.
    I'm hoping this is a joke post. If not, perhaps you should be aware that Tin Shui Wai is a ghetto of the poorest of the poor. (A friend of mine taught there for some years). It's not considered at all desirable as a location! However there are other places in the NT that are not so bad and prices not too much higher.

Never been there. I just saw area foto's on Google Maps (street views) and it seems at first sight a nice area. Have you ever been to Manila? 100 times better where we would be looking at NT, but it's always good to go there and experience the area, but it's still quite neater than... you know where.

But it's nice to know. Thanks.

Last edited by Ralphy; 08-10-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphy:
    Never been there. I just saw area foto's on Google Maps (street views) and it seems at first sight a nice area. Have you ever been to Manila? 100 times better where we would be looking at NT, but it's always good to go there and experience the area, but it's still quite neater than... you know where.

But it's nice to know. Thanks.
    Aah - well I think you really need to go there to get a real feel for the place. "Deprived" is one of the words used to describe it ... and the suicide capital of HK. And yes, I have spent a lot of time in Manila!