Like Tree9Likes

Frequent visitor queue at the airport?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

The other question of course is what would someone be doing here 90 days at a time all year long?

Why wouldn't they just get a work visa or HK ID, and if that wasn't the reason, who does "Visa runs"? And why?

Are there people who should be getting visas that aren't? Because if they are staying 90days they are contributing to HK's economy in some way that's for sure, would someone do this purely to avoid tax, I cant believe.

Paul

So whats stopping you from trying to get a job here then?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

To get an employment visa, you have to find a job, get the employer to sponsor the visa and the sponsor has to show the job can't be done by a permanent resident. To get an HKID, you have to have a valid visa which allows you to stay in HK for more than 180 days. You can't just "get a work visa or HK ID".

Some people don't work or don't want to work but want to live in Hong Kong. But to live in Hong Kong, you must either be a permanent resident or have a valid visa. The government doesn't have a "hanging out in HK for a couple of years" visa although a number of people do ask about one.

I always find it interesting people feel entitled to "visa runs", but the same countries you come from would not find it funny if you attempted something like that there.

They have a system in place to prevent illegal residence.

Football16 likes this.

I have a friend here from Amsterdam who, on his fourth attempt at re-entry (following a week spent on holiday in Korea with his girlfriend), was very nearly refused entry. So this EU passport holder, after talking his way with immigration, was granted a 30-day visitor visa on arrival (instead of the usual 90 days) and told that, the next time he were to attempt re-entering Hong Kong, he would be refused and turned away... disagree all you want, but I suspect that this subject is not up for debate.

Interesting because as a Eu passport holder using the frequent visitor channel, you have to come and go to qualify as stated at least three times in nine months? Now this without too much by way of calculation means every three months, ie the exact length of an Eu passport holders visa?

So are they in fact turning a blind eye to EU passport holders doing just this?

DN that's extremely strange treatment your friend from Amsterdam got, what were the reasons given for the 30-day visa? He tried four times to get in and was refused "after his fourth attempt at re-entry".

It's meant for people who live elsewhere and come in every so often for a few days. Not for people who are in HK for most of the time and leave for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_By_Nature:
    It's meant for people who live elsewhere and come in every so often for a few days. Not for people who are in HK for most of the time and leave for a few days.
    Exactly, you're not meant to 'reside' here without a valid visa, And no Vistor visa's don't count.

Indeed there are many people who have been caught out doing that, I know 3 people personally who weren't even lucky enough to get 30 days, they got 14 and told they may not be able to return within 2 years.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul101:
    DN that's extremely strange treatment your friend from Amsterdam got, what were the reasons given for the 30-day visa? He tried four times to get in and was refused "after his fourth attempt at re-entry".
    Why is it strange? Immigration can refuse entry if the officer at the desk thinks the person isn't a bona fide visitor. Even if you have a valid (EU) passport, entry is not guaranteed into Hong Kong. I think it would be strange if entry were guaranteed.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast