[B]For those born ABROAD i.e. ABC, BBC, CBC, etc[/B]

Closed Thread

Smile [B]For those born ABROAD i.e. ABC, BBC, CBC, etc[/B]

[IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THIS THREAD THEN YOU MUST BE IN A SITUATION SIMILAR TO ME]

I am also born in overseas, British Citizen with passport, with HKID(***), WITHOUT HKSAR passport and do not satisfy the Chinese Nationality Law to become a Chinese Citizen, because according to the CNL:

[Article 5: Any person born abroad whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. But a person whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad, or one of whose parents is a Chinese national and has settled abroad, and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth shall not have Chinese nationality.]

I am currently in the process of applying for HK Chinese Nationality and passport, WITHOUT RENOUNCING BRITISH PASSPORT, with my immigration lawyer. This is a technique thing and should be completed in 2-3 months. Therefore I will be able to keep and use both British & HKSAR passports. I will keep everybody updated.

If you have any questions please forward them to me.

Thanks.

Good luck with that - what you are doing is clearly illegal and since you have posted your real name on these forums I assume that ImmD will be on to you pretty soon.

Well, good luck if it works. I think they do check to see if you renounce the existing citizenship before you can officially naturalize as Chinese. But maybe if you lose it and get the British citizenship back some other way, maybe it's ok, who knows.

Indeed. From GovHK: Application for Naturalisation as a Chinese National

If your application for naturalisation as a Chinese national is approved, you cannot retain your foreign nationality.
    I don't see how it can be clearer than that.

Moreover the Application Form contains the declaration "I declare that I shall not retain foreign nationality on becoming a Chinese National".

If you're going to start making false declarations to government authorities then I guess there's no limit to what you might get away with, but it's not a course that I would recommend for a comfortable existence.
    Last edited by PDLM; 02-09-2010 at 12:39 AM.