Like Tree1Likes

Airport checkpoint self-service?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Airport checkpoint self-service?

I heard there was self-service when going out of HK and coming into HK at airport, like the ones at the checkpoint Lok Ma Chau where you simply use your HKID and take a finger print verification to go out of HK and coming into HK?

But I cannot find any information in Hong Kong International Airport webpage. Or I misunderstood somehow?

Thanks.

You haven't misunderstood. All HKID card holders (except FDHs and students) can use e-channels inbound and outbound at HK Airport.

zhanghz likes this.

That's good news. I assume that will shorten the time. Thanks PDLM.

Yes - considerably! You cannot miss them - they are right after security.

..when you get to the airport and like swipe out when leaving, is there a way you can see your HKID status?. does it show that?, or do you need to go and see an immigration officer?.
    ...would be good if this was available online...

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by m4nn:
    ..when you get to the airport and like swipe out when leaving, is there a way you can see your HKID status?. does it show that?, or do you need to go and see an immigration officer?.
    ...would be good if this was available online...

thanks.
    No it doesn't show that, but surely you already know it?

I heard you have to get fingerprinted or do something similar before you can use this for the first time. Is that true? I have a permanent ID, but have not used the self-service. I've entered HK only once with my HKID, via the booth, which was quick.

If you have a HKID card (of the current variety with a chip) then your thumbprint is already encoded on the card. If your HKID card is not of the current SmartID type then you can't use the e-channels and you need to get it updated at ImmD.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    If you have a HKID card (of the current variety with a chip) then your thumbprint is already encoded on the card. If your HKID card is not of the current SmartID type then you can't use the e-channels and you need to get it updated at ImmD.
    That's what I thought. Weird. I have a SmartID, but someone told me I have to still get thumb printed. I thought that was strange. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

so when you leave HK airport, can you leave by HKID or passport?.
    does it matter?.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast