current processing time for work permit

current processing time for work permit

If there is any one who recently got the work permit, could you share how long it took for you to get one?

I was thinking 4-6 weeks but now my potential employer says it is going to be 6-8 weeks. When I was working in Singapore, HR of my company at that time was able to push the immigration office to issue a visa in a record time but HR of this company in Hong Kong seems efficient but very weak on communcating with me, which drives me crazy.

Is HR in Hong Kong all like..'we could not do any thing but wait..'? Could they at least check with the officer at the immigration offce and update on the status? Frustrated....

They can speed the process up by sending a letter to Immigration stating a business reason why you're required to start earlier.. things like client contracts etc work well.

Dozens and dozens of cases where visas can be and are approved in 3-4 working days without a problem, if they're backed by an application is whiter than white in terms of legitimacy and a valid reason for the urgency.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    They can speed the process up by sending a letter to Immigration stating a business reason why you're required to start earlier.. things like client contracts etc work well.

Dozens and dozens of cases where visas can be and are approved in 3-4 working days without a problem, if they're backed by an application is whiter than white in terms of legitimacy and a valid reason for the urgency.
    We submitted our application to hubby's employer at the start of August, and they submitted it to the ID at the end of august. As of today we are still waiting - though are being told by his office, that the ID department have promised the end of this week (it's now 4.57 so I doubt that). I'm guessing it will be next as his employer is desperate for him to start work on Tuesday and he's refusing to do so until it's legal!

So I'm at 10 weeks and counting...

Thanks for your reply, guys.

KnowItAll, can I check on the status of my application on my own, without going through my potential employer? It takes at least 24 hours just to get a reply from HR, but I also do not want to bombard the officer with my inquiry emails.... Thanks for your reply in advance.

Last edited by dianna; 10-11-2006 at 06:44 PM. Reason: clarification

Took me about 8 weeks. And yes, you can call immigration on your own. But you need your reference number from your application to get in contact with immigration. I did my own calling and checking with immigration