changing name after marriage

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

changing name after marriage

I have a few questions - I will be married in less than a month and I'd like to legally change my name to my husbands. What is the process?

I hold a permanant HKID, Foreign Passport - who do I change the name legally with first. Do I change my passport first and then change my HKID or can they be done at the same time...

Confused....

For changing your name on your HKID, you can find the application form here.

The answer to Question 19:

Q19. What documents should be produced for amendment of the personal particulars on my identity card?
    in this FAQ states that:

If you want to change your name, you should produce documents relating to your change of name such as deed poll, marriage certificate or travel document...
    I am not sure which must be done first though, or if they can indeed be processed simultaneously instead of one after the other, so perhaps someone else can help answer this question.

P.S. - The name change application for your HKID card may be submitted via e-mail:

Besides, you may submit the application form by email at [email protected]
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 14-09-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks for the info!!

Really appreciate it - seems alot of ppl keep telling me not to do it since it's such a big hassle

But would still like to change to my husbands name

So once HKID and Passport are changed then do I need to go through the process of changing everyhting on bank accoutns, MPF etc....?

>> So once HKID and Passport are changed then do I need to go through the process of changing everyhting on bank accoutns, MPF etc....?

One would think so ... given that the old ID would have to be surrendered.

From an old fashioned view, the name changing thing was not designed for women of independent means, bank accts, credit cards, MPF etc.

Yes I would have the name changed on bank accounts, MPF, utility bills, if any are in your name, etc. I suppose you will not need to change your particulars with other gummint departments, like the IRD and such, since you will have successfully applied for the change of name.

As for school/university certificates, I don't know if this will be necessary or whether some sort of document certifying your change of last name will be a. provided and b. suffice for proof that them certificates are yours.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dreadnought; 15-09-2010 at 10:05 AM.

divorce

God forbid if you divorce!!!!
    You have to redo the whole process again.
    In this age , no reason to change name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Yes I would have the name changed on bank accounts, MPF, utility bills, if any are in your name, etc. I suppose you will not need to change your particulars with other gummint departments, like the IRD and such, since you will have successfully applied for the change of name.

As for school/university certificates, I don't know if this will be necessary or whether some sort of document certifying your change of last name will be a. provided and b. suffice for proof that them certificates are yours.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    God forbid if you divorce!!!!
    You have to redo the whole process again.
    In this age , no reason to change name.
    The OP did not need a reason. She just wants to.

Whilst on the subject of name changes, these people NEED one!

Thanks everyone for your advice!!!

this is a culture difference or even can be called a 'culture shock'.

in the uk, it is a common practise to follow the husband's surname.

but in hong kong, in almost all the happily married marriages, the wife does not need to change her surname to follow her husband's surname.

is it really necessary to change the information on the hkid card.

this maybe a simple task of changing the surname, but however this will be follow by the changing of all legal and official documents such as banks, bills etc.

the OP can ask all her friends, in who had changed their surname on their hkid card and passport...i am willing to guess.....for most hong kong bride....nobody will even bother to consider such action in hong kong......why?

because most hong kong chinese people knows, just changing the surname will in the future will require 'evidence' (a letter) from the immgriation office - stating the reason for any change on the hkid card....
    with this letter, the bride will have to show it to all legal/banks/uilities - why there is a change on her hkid card.

and this letter is not cheap from the immgriation office.

i hope this has help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast