Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By reddbod

Travelling outside of Hong Kong with temporary permanent resident HKID?

Closed Thread

Travelling outside of Hong Kong with temporary permanent resident HKID?

I just obtained the "Acknowledgment of Application for a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card" (the temporary paper ID) today after submitting my application for the permanent resident HKID. I entered Hong Kong on a student visa using my Canadian passport. I am travelling to Mainland China for a few days tomorrow - I forgot to ask at the Immigration Department today whether I should be exiting and entering Hong Kong using the temporary paper ID or my Canadian passport (with my student visa). Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

i believe you can but you still need to bring your canadian passport along with the temporary ID. a friend of mine has done this before when he went out of town with a temporary ID and the immigration gave him an exception. you need to queue up at the HK resident counter. then again it would be best to ring up Imm Dept to enquire further.

Alanerko likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You'll still need your Canadian passport anyway (with China visa) to enter the Mainland.

That paper says that a travel document (such as passport) is required to clear immigration. You'd have to show them both, don't be surprised if you are held up presenting the temporary ID though, I guess they find these sketchy.

Thanks for all the replies. I was wondering if I even have to present the temporary ID - can I just enter with my Canadian passport (with my HK student visa attached) as I did when I first arrived in HK since I don't have the real ID yet? Or is it expected that I will present the temporary ID along with my Canadian passport? I just don't want to make things confusing by presenting ID from 2 jurisdictions, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by canadienne:
    Thanks for all the replies. I was wondering if I even have to present the temporary ID - can I just enter with my Canadian passport (with my HK student visa attached) as I did when I first arrived in HK since I don't have the real ID yet? Or is it expected that I will present the temporary ID along with my Canadian passport? I just don't want to make things confusing by presenting ID from 2 jurisdictions, so to speak.
    The ID just helps clearing, it is not required. What is mainly important is the visa on your passport. I have been going a couple of times without showing the temp ID at the time I was waiting. Even after you get your ID you need to bring the passport with you and show it if you clear through a manned channel.

Thanks very much for your reply, hktraveller!

i recalled you have to show both the temp id and passport to exit and enter hong kong.
    you'll need your passport to enter and exit china.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    i recalled you have to show both the temp id and passport to exit and enter hong kong.
    you'll need your passport to enter and exit china.
    exactly. you need to show your ID and your passport at HK immigration counter. you dont need your ID in china just your passport.