QMAS - No criminal convictions (UK + HK)

Closed Thread

QMAS - No criminal convictions (UK + HK)

I recently submitted an application under QMAS and, whilst not wanting to count my chickens before they hatch, want to make sure I'm prepared around the additional paperwork I would need if called for interview.

I lived and worked in HK for 3 years, but am currently living and working in the UK. Any advice on the following would be much appreciated.

(1) UK record: As it would happen my employer has just done a CRB check on me, so I have my own original copy. Assuming the date of this certificate fell within 6 months of any interview date would this suit the purpose? As it's a CRB, it has my current employer as the registered body (essentially, requester) and obviously not the HK ID.

For the sake of sanity I'll probably also get an information disclosure from the PNC in the UK.

That's the easy bit......now for HK!

(2) HK record: Of all the requirements for the QMAS visa, this seems by far the most tedious!! It seems bizarre that, should an applicant get far enough, that this isn't handled directly between HK ID & police.

What's the easiest way of getting this? Presumably, taking an approval-in-principle letter issued by the HK ID to the police would suffice as a 'request'? Attending in person would also ensure no issues with fingerprint quality. However, if I visit HK for a week post approval-in-principle and arrange to see the police as soon as I arrive I guess I still wouldn't have anything 'physical' in hand to take to an interview at the ID (and the HK police won't send anything direct in that time-frame either).....and hence would fall at the last. Any experienced advice on this one is hugely appreciated.

Thanks very much

The details of how to get the UK one are on this page

http://www.met.police.uk/information/request_forms.htm

And for HK:

Hong Kong Police Force - Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (love it that you can pay by octopus card for the fee!)

I've also been thinking like you and applied up front for the UK (and in my case Spain) certs which have both come through, but it seems like you need the approval in principle letter for the HK one so I am waiting for that. I'm in an easier situation though as I am currently in HK.

Once you get the approval in principle then Immigration and / or police might be able to advice on how best to go about getting the certificate.

Thanks AIP. That's probably my best option. In the grand scheme of things it'll be a relatively small hassle if things get that far. Then I'll just need to find a job!!

Good luck with your process too.