The Visa Run

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Visa Run

Hi all,

Just thought I post my experiences for anyone in a similar situation.

We had moved to HK 2 weeks ago as we thought when we booked the flights we would have had our visas - this turned out not to be the case.

Hubbys visa approval FINALLY came through last week, which basically consisted of a little note and 2 self-adhesive stickers. The note said to stick the stickers on to our passports before entering HK.

So we took at day trip to Macau (which happened to coincide with the Grand Prix so we watched that, which was more fun than I was expecting it to be) and then got the ferry back to HK with our stickers in our passports.

And what happened next?

We handed the passports over, and with the usual HK efficiency, our passports were stamped with our visa details and we were through immigration in about 1 minute.

So if anyone was like me worrying about the whole process: don't - it's perfectly straightforward.

Jen

I think the problem is when people are trying to re-enter on tourist visas after 6/9 months. Nobody should be stopped at the two week time, esp. when they have work visa to enter country.

Jen,

Are you both on a work visa, or are you on a dependent's visa on the back of your husband's work visa? I have just received my work visa and am about to do the "visa run", but my HR would not apply for my wife's dependent's visa until I had received my work visa...

Is this right?

W

Wap : they can technically apply at the same time for both a work permit and a dependant's visa. Just a technicality ...

>> FINALLY came through last week

Welcome to the league of tax payers.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiscrap:
    Jen,

Are you both on a work visa, or are you on a dependent's visa on the back of your husband's work visa? I have just received my work visa and am about to do the "visa run", but my HR would not apply for my wife's dependent's visa until I had received my work visa...

Is this right?

W
    I was given the option of applying a dependent's visa for my husband when I was applying for mine. But decided against it at that point (in early) because dependants were still not allowed to work during that time. But when the policy changed and husband got a job offer, then we went to immigration to apply for a visa for him.

Jen,
    but my HR would not apply for my wife's dependent's visa until I had received my work visa...

Is this right?

W
    Nope.. Can be done together... Comes through together as well..

OK, so my HR were not so efficient on this...

I will now apply for the dependent's visa - any idea how long this will take? Is it the same timescales as for my work visa?

OK, so my HR were not so efficient on this...

I will now apply for the dependent's visa - any idea how long this will take? Is it the same timescales as for my work visa?
    Hubby got his under 2 weeks

Wapiscrap: Hubby's is on a work visa, I'm on a dependent's visa on the back of his work visa. His company put both our applications through at the same time.

Jen

Jen,

Is this right?

W

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast